Are fridge/freezers firebomb?

Eeek! … I have butane in my blowtorch as well as all the cigarette lighters I have knocking about for various things! :o:gag:

Thanks for this warning about butane being a flammable gas … I shall go henceforth to empty these items (in a responsible manner, you understand), and refill them with non-phlogisticatable carbon dioxide. (9982)

No, I wouldn't do that. Better to just ignore the whole thing. Order a yard of sand and bury your head in it. Or better still buy a fire extinguisher and fill up your room with CO2:)

Edited by woolyhead

No, I wouldn't do that. Better to just ignore the whole thing. Order a yard of sand and bury your head in it. Or better still buy a fire extinguisher and fill up your room with CO2:)

:huh:

Hmmm...

... now although I've thankfully never had need to try either of your DIY suggestions, I do have many years practical experience of what is required for your common or garden human being to survive, so I speak with a certain amount of authority when I say that, in my opinion, this is very dangerous advice! :o

Both burying your head in sand or filling your room up with carbon dioxide will both lead to the same inevitable consequences and SHOULD NOT be tried at home (or anywhere else, for that matter!)... :roll:

... although out of the two, filling your room with carbon dioxide would be slightly more preferable (albeit less practical and cost effective) in that it obviously has the advantage that any house plants would thrive! :idea:

• 2 weeks later...
Dont some countries have laws where all appliances must have (or at least the equivelent of) PAT testing? If grenfell tower was an office block, everything would (or at least should) have been tested. Should that be a law thats brought in - at least in high rise tower blocks?

Refrigerators are not generally portable. PAT stands for PORTABLE Appliance Testing.

Just doing a PAT test only checks for an electrical fault at the time of testing anyhow. This may not help to detect if a motor is going to seize and overheat.

Refrigerators are not generally portable. PAT stands for PORTABLE Appliance Testing.

Just doing a PAT test only checks for an electrical fault at the time of testing anyhow. This may not help to detect if a motor is going to seize and overheat.

In this case, I think "portable" means that it can be unplugged and moved by people and is not a fixed item wired in to the electrical supply.