A Beatles performance in Sheffield

Beatles Tour of 1963

Does anyone remember the Beatles tour of Sheffield in 1963? Did you go to any of the performances? What are your memories of the performances? Did you attend the Azena Ballroom, Gleadless, performance?

Any thoughts, quirky moments, or anything however big or small about the performances please let me know.

Thanks, Ryan Davies

joa02rmd@shef.ac.uk[/b]

• 6 months later...

I was at the Azena for the beatles concert and I remember paying 6s 6d for a ticket on the black market outside, the original price was 5s 6d and someone opened the firedoor and hundreds poured in till the police restored order, I recall standing on a chair on a table.

The Azena was called after the owners Arnold & Zena Fidler, Zena died this year.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Steve Cooper

I seem to remember a story going around (I suppose it would be around 1964/5) that the Beatles had played at the Blue Bell on Main Street, Hackenthorpe. Am I imagining it? Was it an urban myth?

An urban myth I am Afraid. But some big acts did play the Bell in the Sixties.

Originally posted by kirky

slightly off subject but my mum saw buddy holly at the city hall and actually met him and got his autograph,it was sold at sotherby's about 2 years and she bought my sister a car with the money,about 3 grand i think it fetched.

He stayed at the Grand that night and walked across the road chatting to local guitar players.

Second on the bill was DES O'CONNOR. unbelievable now but he was a bit of a rocker in 1957

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

the ballroom in gleadless townend was owned by my auntie and uncle arnie and zeana sadly they are both deceased now but we have 1000s of memorys of her if any body wants to chat about this subject or anything else to do with gleadless drop me a line

Archived