Alighting passengers

What does the Highway Code say about alighting/picking up passengers?

I saw a car stop at a pelican crossing(on the zig zags) today, picking up an old lady with two walking stick, and I often block residential roads picking up disabled passenger in my minibus; taxis do it too.

What does the Highway Code say about alighting/picking up passengers?

I saw a car stop at a pelican crossing(on the zig zags) today, picking up an old lady with two walking stick, and I often block residential roads picking up disabled passenger in my minibus; taxis do it too.

I was dropped off on zig zags and my mate got a telling off by a policeman, who said he could have nicked him.

I imagine if you're picking up elderly/disabled people there's abit of leeway as to whats acceptable anyway.

As long as it's safe to do so and you don't totally block the road I wouldn't worry.

---------- Post added 04-07-2017 at 12:22 ----------

I was dropped off on zig zags and my mate got a telling off by a policeman, who said he could have nicked him.

You can get a fine (and points I think) for stopping on zig zags, but it's not an arrestable offence.

Should just be a ticket at the side of the road.

If they let you off with just and ear-bashing then thats preferable to a ticket.

Any offence is now (theoretically) arrestable

Yes but if you got dragged down the station and had your car impounded just for stopping on a zig zag you would probably have quite an interesting conversation with the IPCC after.

Yes but if you got dragged down the station and had your car impounded just for stopping on a zig zag you would probably have quite an interesting conversation with the IPCC after.

Not really! The scenario would be if you refused to provide your details. Sec 117 PACE states that a police officer may detain anyone who has committed an offence and refused his details, in order to obtain those details or put them up before the next available magistrate.

Just stopping on a crossing to pickup/drop off could earn you a £100 fine and 3 points on your licence and more if you took it to court and lost your case.

However, most of our police officers have common sense and a quite word and the reason why you should not stop on a crossing will suffice.

Unless you are a complete wonker and argue the toss.

Not really! The scenario would be if you refused to provide your details. Sec 117 PACE states that a police officer may detain anyone who has committed an offence and refused his details, in order to obtain those details or put them up before the next available magistrate.

At what point did anyone mention anything like that???

Obviously if you give a policeman lip and/or have committed other offences they will arrest you :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

You can get a fine (and points I think) for stopping on zig zags, but it's not an arrestable offence. Should just be a ticket at the side of the road.

If they let you off with just and ear-bashing then thats preferable to a ticket.

I dont think the Police bother with minor things like road safety, that is why his mate got let off.

At what point did anyone mention anything like that???

Obviously if you give a policeman lip and/or have committed other offences they will arrest you :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

See post #5 following on from post #4. Not sure what all the pathetic eye rolls are for though!

my bold

to the best of my knowldge as long as you have not committed an offence giving a copper some lip is not arrestable

Section 5 (Disorderly Behavior)

Used threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour;

Within the hearing or sight of somebody likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress.