Should cyclists be required to wear High-Visibility Vests or Jackets?

I know there are those who will oppose any change to how cyclists ride on the roads, but after todays near accident, which was my fault. I'm certain if the cyclist was wearing a high visibility jacket I would have seen him.

I pulled out of a junction and did not see the guy until after he had passed in front of me. The low light and his dark clothing made him difficult to see It was my fault, but I suspect, if he was wearing something more visible I would have seen him. His dark grey top on a slightly light grey bike with out a helmet, made him very difficult to see in the low light at approx 7am today.

Many cyclists do wear either bright clothing or high visibility jackets or vests, but should this be mandatory? I think so, going by personal experience.

Absolutely they should have to wear these , anything to make them look as daft as the "Mock racer lycra" get ups most of them wear:hihi: and whilst we are talking about what cyclists should do they should also have to be insured and registered and pay a usage fee for their special cycle lanes.

Should motorists only be allowed to buy yellow cars?

That's the logical conclusion.

Also, the only horses allowed on the roads are to be flourescent yellow ones.

And no pedestrian may walk on or cross the road unless they carry a flashing light.

I know there are those who will oppose any change to how cyclists ride on the roads, but after todays near accident, which was my fault. I'm certain if the cyclist was wearing a high visibility jacket I would have seen him.

I pulled out of a junction and did not see the guy until after he had passed in front of me. The low light and his dark clothing made him difficult to see It was my fault, but I suspect, if he was wearing something more visible I would have seen him. His dark grey top on a slightly light grey bike with out a helmet, made him very difficult to see in the low light at approx 7am today.

Many cyclists do wear either bright clothing or high visibility jackets or vests, but should this be mandatory? I think so, going by personal experience.

No.

It is up to road users to check properly before pulling out.

Was the cyclist invisible at 7am on a summer's day?

The cyclist wasn't invisible but not as visible as he might have been if he'd been wearing bright colours or reflective items.

I really don't understand why all cyclists dont wear clothing that allows them to be more visible - bit of a no brainer really :huh:

Edited by Daven

7am, Early July = low light?

Perhaps cars having their headlights made the dull areas harder to see?

Lobbying group Lightmare is urging transport minister Patrick McLoughlin to ‘act now’ after stating its belief that ‘blinding’ Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are to blame for ‘soaring crash rates’.

Lightmare points to DfT casualty stats for 2014 and argues that ‘the steady year-on-year decline in casualties has been halted and is now increasing in proportion to the use of blinding light’.

http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/4636.html

https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg18725111-900-turned-off-by-daytime-driving-lights/

My waterproof jacket is black, but with reflective panels, which I think is more visible in the dark than my old fluorescent one that didn't reflect.

In crepuscular conditions I'm not so sure, as they need a light to be shining on them to reflect.

Saccadic eye movements when scanning mean moving objects can be in a driver's "blind spot". Drivers need to be aware of this and look properly!

I'll try and find the piece that explains it better than me...

Bicycles are required to have lights fitted

http://www.cyclelaw.co.uk/legality-of-cycle-lighting-accessories

In the interest of self preservation I often wear high visibility clothing.

But cyclists would not need lights switched on at 7am in early July

I cycle myself and wear hi-vis the whole time. If a motorist took me out and I wasn't wearing it the 'should have seen me' argument would be no consolation. Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

But cyclists would not need lights switched on at 7am in early July

I cycle myself and wear hi-vis the whole time. If a motorist took me out and I wasn't wearing it the 'should have seen me' argument would be no consolation. Better to be safe than sorry IMO.

Absolutely. I too wear a high vis bright orange jacket which also covers my head and arms. I want to be seen by these 1 ton killing machines and i want to preserve my life the best i can. Don't rely on drivers being able to see you easily, but make YOURSELF stand out a mile to all road users.

My waterproof jacket is black, but with reflective panels, which I think is more visible in the dark than my old fluorescent one that didn't reflect.

In crepuscular conditions I'm not so sure, as they need a light to be shining on them to reflect.

Saccadic eye movements when scanning mean moving objects can be in a driver's "blind spot". Drivers need to be aware of this and look properly!

I'll try and find the piece that explains it better than me...

I saw a video about this once, your eyes skip across and your brain will fill in the blanks.

On top of that, many people don't actively look for bikes.

I make a point to always look twice, it is impossible to judge an object's speed from a single glance.

Have you considered retaking your test?

Your observation skills are lacking

Luckily no one was harmed and I doubt even you on your high horse cannot claim to have never made a mistake.

---------- Post added 05-07-2017 at 08:56 ----------

7am, Early July = low light?

It was a combination of factors. It was dull due to the overcast nature of the weather, the background housing was also dark and this cyclist was also wearing dark clothing.

I did not see the cyclist until he was past me. Now, I cant say for sure if he was on the road or had jumped off the pavement, that is also a possibility, so there is no certainty that I was in the wrong either.

I have driven for many years and seen many stupid things done by cyclists. I watched at least 2 cyclists ride through through red lights on my journey home last night alone. Some car drivers do also break the rules of the road, but we are forced to adhere to many standards and checks that cyclists are not. If wearing a hi-vis jacket saves one life, is that not a good thing? To most I suspect its acceptable, to the minority, militant, cyclists who think that everyone else is at fault except them, this argument will never gain any traction and this is why their point of view isn't worth paying attention to.