Should cyclists be required to wear High-Visibility Vests or Jackets?

It was the unnecessary tailgating I was highlighting.

It is a bus lane which taxis and bikes can use.

I've no interest in how you get to work.

Then why point out there was an empty cycle lane to his left - implying that he should have been using that? Is it not empty because of the roadworks, i.e. traffic has to use the right hand lane? Or am I not thinking of the right place.

I was highlighting a reason a cyclist might choose not to use a cycle lane. I wasn't going to work, either (not that it's relevant!).

Guest makapaka
Then why point out there was an empty cycle lane to his left - implying that he should have been using that? Is it not empty because of the roadworks, i.e. traffic has to use the right hand lane? Or am I not thinking of the right place.

I was highlighting a reason a cyclist might choose not to use a cycle lane. I wasn't going to work, either (not that it's relevant!).

Because it further highlighted how unnecessary it was.

The bus lane isn't closed off.

And for the record he should have been using that - would have been safer for him.

Regardless - he was cycling unsafely. It was daft and dangerous.

They should also be made to take a basic intelligence test before being allowed on the road. Plus a colour blindness test to see if they can tell the difference between a red or green light.

So should you before posting. the intelligence test at least.

So should you before posting. the intelligence test at least.

Says you with a lowercase letter at the start of a sentence. He who throws stones and all ... and yes I understand the irony.

However the concept of bike riders having at least some form of basic understanding of the roads is a good point. Maybe like other countries we could teach this in school. Make it part of everyone's curriculum. This would help promote cycling at an early age.

Edited by Berberis

My school ran a cycling proficiency scheme, primary school that is, which I and all my classmates attended and passed. I think the last time this was mentioned someone said that they are still commonly run.

The majority of adult cyclists are of course also motorists and so do hold a license for driving a car or a motorcycle.

Says you with a lowercase letter at the start of a sentence. He who throws stones and all ... and yes I understand the irony.

However the concept of bike riders having at least some form of basic understanding of the roads is a good point. Maybe like other countries we could teach this in school. Make it part of everyone's curriculum. This would help promote cycling at an early age.

I think you'll find most schools in Sheffield already do offer bikeabilty to level 2 at y5 and y6 and level 3 is offered to the more experienced .

https://bikeability.org.uk/what/

My school ran a cycling proficiency scheme, primary school that is, which I and all my classmates attended and passed. I think the last time this was mentioned someone said that they are still commonly run.

The majority of adult cyclists are of course also motorists and so do hold a license for driving a car or a motorcycle.

It wasn't at my school so back then 80's/90's it wasnt a national requirement.