Volvo to stop using conventional engines

It's being reported Volvo are wanting to stop using petrol /Diesel engines by as soon as 2019 and all their cars after that will be powered by electric or be hybrid ,is the technology there yet for a manufacture to take such a step or do we stick with fossil fuelled engine for the foreseeable future ?

The tech is decent but the price might be a stumbling block, it's still a more expensive option and while it is becoming popular if your cars are significantly more expensive than your rivals then sales will take a beating.

:help:

The tech is decent but the price might be a stumbling block, it's still a more expensive option and while it is becoming popular if your cars are significantly more expensive than your rivals then sales will take a beating.

On the other hand geared if Volvo took the plunge would other manufacturers also take the plunge ,thus creating a sort of price war ?

One of the things Volvo are banking on is that the price of the tech is coming down exponentially, which it is doing. We're already seeing mass-produced electric vehicles come within price-range of fueled vehicles.

I highly suspect Volvo and Geely have a deal lined up to mass-produce LI batteries in China (or funded by China) and expect an announcement to follow soon.

As a lifelong Volvo man I am excited by the news! (Although I will miss the old 5 cylinder tremendously!)

:help:

On the other hand geared if Volvo took the plunge would other manufacturers also take the plunge ,thus creating a sort of price war ?

They already do though, most manufacturers have hybrid vehicles or have hybrids and/or EV's in testing.

I think everyone else envisions a more gradual change.

---------- Post added 05-07-2017 at 15:48 ----------

One of the things Volvo are banking on is that the price of the tech is coming down exponentially, which it is doing. We're already seeing mass-produced electric vehicles come within price-range of fueled vehicles.

Not like-for like though, and there is a government grant for most EV's as well.

Thats before you get into the farce that is battery rental

The thing I can see putting people off more than anything, is if you don't have anywhere at home to charge your EV. I know that more and more places have charging points nowadays, but what about our residential streets? That's where a lot of vehicles spend most of their time parked up, and where realistically, it makes sense for the recharging to occur.

I can't quite get my head around how this would work either, does anyone know of anywhere where on-street charging has been set up?

Quite a few places have setup on-street residential charging, although last I heard it's actually being cut-back on now due to it's popularity.

Seems the councils did the maths and footing the electricity bill for tons of people to charge their car every night was actually going to be rather expensive!

You are right though, charging needs to be convenient and accessible (ie at home) but that is simply not feasible now.

Quite a few places have setup on-street residential charging, although last I heard it's actually being cut-back on now due to it's popularity.

Seems the councils did the maths and footing the electricity bill for tons of people to charge their car every night was actually going to be rather expensive!

Not surprising really! I'd assume there'd have to be some way of paying. There ought to be some way of paying for use, via an app based system maybe?

I was thinking the problem would be more that of being able to hook up to a charging point. Say you got home from work and the on street points were all taken? Maybe someone with a petrol car has taken up the space, that'd be doubly annoying. Would the pavements be strewn with extension cables? Or are electric cars just a non-starter (bu bum) for people without off street parking?

I suppose Volvo are hoping to get ahead of Saab (as was) ? The old Saab factory is all set to start putting hybrid power plants in the Saab bodies.

There is (or was) a government scheme to fit home charging points for free.

As far as public charging points are concerned, an App. pay scheme is most likely, it is how I pay for my petrol so quite easy to set up.

Maybe now is the time to get ahead of the game, electric vehicles are here to stay.

The UK will need to invest heavily in new power stations then. At the moment we couldn't reliably produce enough electricity to power electric cars if we all switched to them.

Hybrids actually do use a petrol or diesel engline though don't they, to power the battery?

Does anyone know how long the batteries in an electric car last? Or what happens to the old batteries once they are replaced?

I like the idea of hybrids / electric cars but am a bit wary about the above, plus range anxiety and the time it takes to recharge them.