Volvo to stop using conventional engines

We're going to need some joined up thinking on power generation, storage and supply though.

Looks like electricity will be charged at different prices, at different times of the day. So charging at night time when the wind is blowing will be cheaper than charging in peak hours.

I dont know what this about the Government encouraging storing electricity was about, the cost will be way too high.

I have solar panels, and I believe they generate less than £500s worth of electricity per year, some of that is used, the rest goes into the national grid.

Why would I spend £500+ on batteries?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/uk-households-electricity-production-batteries-storage-greg-clark-business-secretary-tech-investment-a7856586.html

I dont know what this about the Government encouraging storing electricity was about, the cost will be way too high.

I have solar panels, and I believe they generate less than £500s worth of electricity per year, some of that is used, the rest goes into the national grid.

Why would I spend £500+ on batteries?

In 20 years time I'm sure the price of electricity will be pretty steep, especially if the entire country then needs it to power their cars as well as their house.

Given 20 years I'm sure the efficiency of batteries and solar panels will be much better, so people could generate more, store more and need to buy less.

In 20 years time I'm sure the price of electricity will be pretty steep, especially if the entire country then needs it to power their cars as well as their house.

Given 20 years I'm sure the efficiency of batteries and solar panels will be much better, so people could generate more, store more and need to buy less.

From what I have read, electric power is cheaper than petrol and diesel power. It may take some planning, to generate all that electricity; but it will be more efficient.

Will it still be cheaper, if you take the tax into account?

"Charge at home on an off-peak Economy 7 electricity tariff and the Ford Focus electric could cost you just £138 to power for 10,000 miles of motoring – much cheaper than equivalent petrol or diesel bills. However, if you haven’t got the cheapest tariff that figure could swell to £483."

http://news.motors.co.uk/news/which-is-cheaper-petrol-diesel-or-electric/

---------- Post added 26-07-2017 at 14:08 ----------

The government revenue from fuel duties was £25.894 billion in 2009. I wonder if they will increase the VAT on electricity?