Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

I lived on Darnal road during my teens, Then we moved to Attercliffe Road. We lived next to the swap shop at the bottom of Whitworth Lane. The Police station is now built on top of our house.. We moved from there to Weedon street, I was in the Army at the time. I came out of the Army after that we moved to Pye Bank. I used to love the Cliff. And all the activity. So badly missed in todays corrupt society

im currently working at a company in the yards belonging 2 spartan works on attercliffe rd acrossfrom the carlton. anyone who goes down attercliffe cant have failed 2 notice that nearly all the pubs have undergone major work and large investment. speaking 2 a bloke the other day from the council made me realise why, he told me that yorkshire water who own the land from the old yorkshirebank back towards town are going in the near future 2 sell all this land off for apartment development ete. this includes spartan works where i currentley work and the land along the canal, obviousley all this work being done on the pubs is geared up for this developmentand increase in in population.

Parents from Attercliffe. Ma used to live in the Railway Cottages (Now Centretainments) Used to drink in the Railway (Noose & Gibbet), Top Common and Excelsior and knew loads of people including 'Brenda' and her friend whose name escapes me. They used to dress up in Drag and they were soooo funny.

All you old 'cliffe hangers might be interested in a couple of the pictures on this web site.

http://www.cyberpictures.net/sheffield/s1.htm

Have to click on the pictures to enlarge them. Scroll down to picture 202, - it's a great shot of the 'Cliffe from outside the old Tram Car pub looking back up to Hill Top, and 196 shows an engine going over Wicker Arches.

Can anyone confirm the building in this picture

http://www.swineherd.free-online.co.uk/lostpubs/setsix/gladsa.jpg

is at the end of Brompton road wher Newhall Road joins the 'Cliffe...and was it ever a public house ? Looks like there might have been a snooker hall upstairs ? I'm pretty sure the No 5 bus terminus was a little further down Brompton Road.

My aunt had a shop on Attercliffe Common near Tinsley Terminus. Two doors away was a cobbler Donald Gooch(?). I sat for hours as a kid while he made clogs. I remember men coming in the shop to buy their "plug"or snuff - brown teeth for plug and brown moustache for snuff!

Originally posted by Greybeard

All you old 'cliffe hangers might be interested in a couple of the pictures on this web site.

(snipped)

Can anyone confirm the building in this picture

http://www.swineherd.free-online.co.uk/lostpubs/setsix/gladsa.jpg

is at the end of Brompton road wher Newhall Road joins the 'Cliffe...and was it ever a public house ? Looks like there might have been a snooker hall upstairs ? I'm pretty sure the No 5 bus terminus was a little further down Brompton Road.

I love that ... "cliffe-hangers. that's brilliant, LOL!!

Right, that pic to my (untrained) eye looks like the old attercliffe cop shop/ baths, on the very extreme right of the photograph, going off the line of the picture.

I personally think that it looks as if the pic is of the Darnall side of AttercliffeRoad/ Common, not the Brightside - side, looking back towards the city.

I feel sure that it's on that strip of Attercliffe Road/Common ,between leeds/Worksop roads, and Coleridge Road, the same section where the Salutation Inn was, across the front of the Don Valley Stadium, as it is now...

I don't remember "Glad's" cafe, but that junction definitely feels familiar.

i'ts such a pity that the name of the road, on the name plate, at the junction didn't show up very well on the photo... that'd have helped tremendously.

Mr PT is going to have a look at the pic for us, later on; (he is a former Wincobankian/ Darnallite, with a bit of Heeley thrown in for good measure,) he might know...

PT

mr PT has just had a look at the picture, and he says exactly the same as me.

that black-coloured building on the extreme right of the picture is definitely Attercliffe Baths, he says...

So it's location is probably the junction of brompton road, opposite the bottom of newhall road, we are in agreement, there, greybeard.

the white wall and the building directly behind it, (partially obscured by the traffic light) mr PT says, is definitely no longer there. (adjacent to the baths)

like mr PT. on a second viewing of the picture, I have the feeling that attercliffe road/ common runs behind the "glad's" building. the photographer's back must have been towards brightside,

I was mistakenly thinking thinking that the road across the foreground was attercliffe road/common itself. ( I stand slightly corrected)

PT

The picture looks as if it is the junction of Oldhall / Newhall Road The Attercliffe Nick Shop was not on the main road. That was on whitworth lane. 200 yards further up Attercliffe Common, Not Attercliffe Road. There is a Swap Shop / Barbers Then Whitworth Lane, Then The Gate Inn, Followed by The Salutation Inn, That in later days became a Gay Club. Could go further, But the picture is around that area. The now Attercliffe Police Station is built on the top of the House where I used to live

i once sold a telescope to that swap shop for 3 quid to take a bird out, one day later it was in the window for a tenner . the swap shop at the bottom of chelmsford st where i lived was much better, he didnt rip you off a much.

Archived