Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

Originally posted by Greybeard

Hi Brooksy,

We were sort of mates for a while, your Dad and me, - did the same job at Alloy Steel Rods on different shifts, but I often had to sub as furnaceman so we'd end up on the same shift. He used to drop me off home, or after the morning shift we'd go up to Shiregreen club for a game of snooker and a few jars. A nice quiet, gentle bloke, but a wicked sense of humour with people who took themselves and life too seriously....used to wind them up something rotten - me included :D

Is he still around ?

i played darts for shiregreen club in the 50s a 60s

we came runners up in ciu all england knockout in 66 i think

Enjoy reading all your memories of Attercliffe, brought a lot of my own back. I was born on Saville Street and enjoyed my trips up The Cliff . But Please!!! stop calling the railway bridge Norfolk Bridge. This bridge is in fact on Leveson Street, theres even a plaque on it saying Norfolk Bridge.

hi you all I was born down attercliffe in 1954 and I lived on short street just off carbrook street I had relations who lived on dunlop street they were called the holfords my dads sister and her husband lived on short street they were called the goddards thats when she got married she was a beaumont then my dad use to play the piano in most of the pubs he was called ruben allan beaumont one of the pubs he use to play at was the british oak on carbrook street and the other was the carbrook hall.I wish I still lived down there as the people was the best in south yorkshire what I miss most of all is all my friends who I grew up with.

can anybody tell me what the green grocers shop was called on weedon street and the two chippy's one was on weeden street and the other was on askern street I think also does anybody know if any of the people who lived down our way are still living ie the kids like gary carr,pip piper,steven mather,kay goodwin.billy otter,steven holford,linda holford,valerie holford,kim goddard,lesley goodard, janet holford, and anybody else who I cant remember does anybody recall old man street who use to sit out side is shop in the summer and watch you very carefully when you went in also can anybody tell me what he was called who had the barbers shop across from the tinsley hotel the one that was next door to the baccy shop.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by brooksy

anyone remember who owned the chippy at bottom ofstaniforth rd near the canal. it was open till about 1976 and there was a sweet or newsagents shop at the side of it.

No, but I remember looking over that bridge at the canal and the water used to be bright orange.

yes i remember the canal being realypoluted but as kids in the early 70s we mucked about in it. i work in the spartan works now which back on to the canal and have caught loads of fish, what a vast improvement it made when they banned the steelworks dumping there waste.

Originally posted by brooksy

anyone remember who owned the chippy at bottom ofstaniforth rd near the canal. it was open till about 1976 and there was a sweet or newsagents shop at the side of it.

Hiya brooksy

The chippy at the bottom of Staniforth Road was owned by Wilfred and Irene Ashworth, my wifes aunty and uncle

deecee

Archived