Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

Originally posted by brooksy

yes i remember the canal being realypoluted but as kids in the early 70s we mucked about in it. i work in the spartan works now which back on to the canal and have caught loads of fish, what a vast improvement it made when they banned the steelworks dumping there waste.

In the late 40's and early 50's my mum and her sisters used to play 'Jump the Cut', on their way home from school, leaping across the narrow-ish bit of the cut (canal) near their home.

Till one day......

My aunt fell in, still wearing her best bib-and-tucker; her school uniform!!!

My goodness, did she get her backside rattled!

She absolutely Stank. Like something putrid, my mother said.

"Ginger Nut,

Fell in the cut

And frightened all the fishes

One came up,

And swallowed her up,

And that was the end of Ginger Nut!!"

(yes, in case you hadn't guessed, my aunt was a redhead, and my mother used to sing that rhyme to tease her!)

PT

No on has mentined Hitchens!!! Catalogue clearence clothes that got me through my young years!!!

I was born on Thames Road, which I think is now called Harry Firth Road, our house was knocked down and we got moved to Pitsmoor in the mid 70's.

Remember Banners also!

Whats it like now?

I remember lots of people going to hitchens in 70s as they once had a batch of prince of wales check in for a fraction of the price.

and some of the other trousers that were in fashion then.

you had to be quick though or they'd be gone.

i remember a lad called john stead, he used to hang about on ripon street reck when jess had it in the 70s. if i remember right didnt john stead have a blonde stripe in is hair, looked quite strange but an hereditory thing.

i remember a lad called john stead, he used to hang about on ripon street reck when jess had it in the 70s. if i remember right didnt john stead have a blonde stripe in is hair, looked quite strange but an hereditory thing.

did he have a brother called andrew?

not sure but steady as he was called hanged out on ripon st with some lads called dewyres, not sure ive spelt that right.

if the family ended up living on price of wales road around 1975 i knew them quite well

anybody on here come of attercliffe i was born on attercliffe and lived just of staiforth rd on chelmsford st i attended woodbourn rd school

I used to work with two brothers called "gurnell" who nlived oin Attercliffe in the 50's/60's and maybe still do..the family all had ginger hair and they used to frequent the "Filesmiths" do's anyone remember them ???

Part of the Gurnill family now live on the Southy Estate. One of them has a pretty largish family now, I remember the Filesmiths when old Joe had it back in the sixties, Large fat fella, Wife had a mental illness, Used to sit behind the bar all day checking out the horses in the paper

Archived