Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

helo my grandparents lived at 27 alfred rd then 15 norman st till 1951 they were called john and fanny allen they had 6 sons i think grans maiden name was fanny hague i think she lived on broughton lane before she got wed hope to here from you by

small world mi owd mucker,my dad lived on alfred rd before marry ing mom and moving to grimesthorpe.glad to see you haven't hibernated.my hubby is a cliffe lad lived on ferguson st.sheila

• 2 weeks later...
Not been on the forum for quite a while ,seen a lot of names I recognise but a bit wierd when I saw my name pop up.

My parents used to keep the Fox House on Shirland Lane until about 1977 before moving to the Queens Head on Attercliffe road which they had 'till about 1982 I think ,Attercliffe at that time was basically fading away ,houses pulled down ,factories closing.My old man came out of the Queens after the death of my mother.

My father now lives on the Charnock estate with my sister Maria.

hi, i lived on shirland lane, my parents used to go in the queens every sunday night. my brother had is 18th at the queens. i now live on the charnock estate :)

Yes Pam I remember that. Used to spend a lot of time around the brick field. Remember having lots of fun when they demolished all the pig sties on there - or rather we demolished them for free. My best buddy's family owned the beeroff on the corner of Chippingham St and Shirland Lane. I used to live on Beall St.

i thought it was the hewitts who owned the shop on corner of chippingham street and shirland lane. i used to be best friends with their daughter cheryl and they also had a son that was a few years older called david

my husbands mum lived on shirland lane i think her parents had a shop/post office her dad made little lead soilders that they sold in the shop their name is clarke. they had two other kids glenise and jean and my husbands mum was elaine, she married a man named barry downes. any info anyone can remember would be great as my husbands granparents no longer living other than ivy and we would love to know more

hi, mrs clarke lived in our yard, so did elaine and barry and the other house had mr bullimore in it, we lived at 87, barry and elaine at 89, mr bullimore at 91 and mrs clarke 93.

Just been looking at (anyone from Attercliffe) my late husband was born at 76 Alfred rd, his name was Sam H. Johnson,he had a older sister Eleanor (Nellie),they moved to Canny st, & then to Upwell lane grimesthorpe. I think the square thats been spoke about was in the 1920,s was used as a tossing ring. Round about New Year,s 1933 the Johnson,s & Hampton,s had a cellar grate fight.

small world mi owd mucker,my dad lived on alfred rd before marry ing mom and moving to grimesthorpe.glad to see you haven't hibernated.my hubby is a cliffe lad lived on ferguson st.sheila

My husband lived on Ferguson Street from 1961 to 1969 before moving to Parson Cross

Brooksy, is this the one that you remember? On the corner of Old Hall Road.

http://www.swineherd.free-online.co.uk/lostpubs/setthree/gballa.jpg

The name of this bublic house was the golden ball , it was also called the gilded knacker & was demolished in 1989 to make way for the Don valley stadium. it stood on the corner of old hall road & Attercliffe road, I remember the horse troft just outside Attercliffe baths. I remember the horse, that pulled the stores coperative milk cart ,& the rag & bone man,any old rags for donkey stone.mom used donkey stone for whitening the steps.:)

Brooksy, theonly Rec I remember at the 'cliffe, was "Carbrook Rec" on Terry Street, beside the Carbrook School. (We didn't go Via Ripon St)

It was there when my mum, and her brother and sisters were small. I wonder if it was built at the same time as the school? the Rec on Nottingham Street, (Pitsmoor) was a similar style to the Carbrook Rec, and it, too, set out adjacent to the school.

The Carbrook Rec is now the Don Valley Bowl...

PT

I spent many happy hours at Carbrook rec playing on the swing,s do you remember the cast iron rocking horse, any one remember the old air raid shelters that were at the back of CarbrooK school.:P

Archived