Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

Oo Tara that's exciting. There was a Florence Biggin in my family tree I think. Can you tell me what you knew about them please?

Cant remember too much but i seem to remember they had Greyhounds , probably had racing ones.I think they lived near the Grimesthorpe area.

The daughter Florence is probably around late 50s. she always wore pretty floaty dresses .

I know they were quite well to do financially. Dont know how else to put it.

Top lass.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I taught her a 1960s song we chanted on the Spion Kop at Hillsborough .

"Hi yai hi yai Springett is better than Yashin and Yashin is better than Eusabio and United are in for a thrashing"

She sings it in a Paraguyan dialect with Spanish and Sheffield dialect thrown in.

• 3 weeks later...

HI just joined the forum first Thread as you call them so i dont know the ins and outs i

was born in Ravensworth rd of Broughton lane in1935 the family name was MYERS i am

Derek thomas the eldest lad i went Carbrook school and Coleridge rd, we moved to Lincolnshire in the 50s. It has been marvelous to read all the differant yarns i hope to

contribute some of my own in the near future, untill then thanks for the memories DTM

HI just joined the forum first Thread as you call them so i dont know the ins and outs i

was born in Ravensworth rd of Broughton lane in1935 the family name was MYERS i am

Derek thomas the eldest lad i went Carbrook school and Coleridge rd, we moved to Lincolnshire in the 50s. It has been marvelous to read all the differant yarns i hope to

contribute some of my own in the near future, untill then thanks for the memories DTM

Hi, Derek, and welcome to the forum, what number Ravensworth Rd did you live at? I had family on Ravensworth and Carltonville Roads, my Great grandpa was a Merrils.

HI Plain Talker

I lived at No18 my granparents lived at No16 it was next door i had aunt and uncle,and a cousin who lived in the bottom yard opposite the BIRD IN HAND pub some of my friends who lived in the st were the Green family Barks, Wise, Carson, On Carltonvilla rd there D was D NADIN i think he became an Hairdresser some where up the Cliff I used to deliver the STAR round all the local streets so i new afew people, the name MERRILS seems to ring a bell. thats about it for now bye DTM

HI Buck

I remember the ATTERCLIFFE roller skating ring we used to walk there from carbrook we all ways bought a pommygranit had it cut up between us and we all had a pin to eat the seeds, i recall there were 2 floors one for learners it had a rail down the middle, then there were our big rink like you i thought i was good but it soon sorted you out. we used to pass a swop shop on the cliff i swopped a case ball as they were called for a pair of skates the football was the old T pannelled sort the modern day pansis would break there ankles if they kicked one and it had a laze that cut when you headed it cheers DRK

HI Plain Talker

I lived at No18 my granparents lived at No16 it was next door i had aunt and uncle,and a cousin who lived in the bottom yard opposite the BIRD IN HAND pub some of my friends who lived in the st were the Green family Barks, Wise, Carson, On Carltonvilla rd there D was D NADIN i think he became an Hairdresser some where up the Cliff I used to deliver the STAR round all the local streets so i new afew people, the name MERRILS seems to ring a bell. thats about it for now bye DTM

hi derekthomas

just caught your thread lived on carltonville rd from 1939/62 ,

attended carbrook county inf junnior then coleridge rd sec mod remember doug nadin lived bottom of carltonville rd just before arch way into strauts coal yard he work at bob hewits oppersite ferns garage just past bottom of broughton lane cant remember name of road but led on to surbiton street

regards aj

Archived