Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

HI AJ

Thanks for thread on D NADIN i am going to start on Coleridge RD school do you remember teacher Fitspatric he took the training for the rugby team i was a member of the team i have a photo of the team some where, iam trying to remember the football teacher i think it was nailer a little man smoked a pipe used to walk us little wembly on wed afternoon past the rolling mills we used to nip in the mills to have a drink of water

some times get left behind and skive of home or sit on canal side and have a fag regards

DTM

HI AJ

Thanks for thread on D NADIN i am going to start on Coleridge RD school do you remember teacher Fitspatric he took the training for the rugby team i was a member of the team i have a photo of the team some where, iam trying to remember the football teacher i think it was nailer a little man smoked a pipe used to walk us little wembly on wed afternoon past the rolling mills we used to nip in the mills to have a drink of water

some times get left behind and skive of home or sit on canal side and have a fag regards

DTM

It is Pop Naylor you remember. He used to take us for music as well. Mr Philips a Welshman took rugby for one season but then it was disbanded and football was all the go.

We went to Little Wembly a couple of timed but by the time we reached there and got changed; plus the walk back , we finished playing after about 15 minutes.

I can remember calling at the tap in the rolling mills for a drink on our way back.

HI

As i was looking through the threads i noticed someone talking about the sheffield star walk and if they still did it i dont know if they do i did it once it was a special one it was the FESTIVAL OF BRITAIN 25th ANNUAL WHITSUNTIDE WALK the date was Whit Tuesday May 15.1951. I compleated the 12 mile course in 1hour 47minutes 28seconds i came in 6th and was the youngest competiter i am looking at my certificate as i write this i do believe the Chief CONSTABLE started the race with the MAY0R, just a memory DTm

really good to read all of the memories and discussions here about living on the 'cliffe',S9, which was never the most celebrated of postocodes. I went to Matby street junior school from 61 to 67. Anyone remebber the dinner lady in charge. I think she was call Mrs Needhan (something like that), she was very formidable and wore a mans watch on her wrist. Other teachers there were Mr Wild? Headmaster, Miss Nugent(used to slap wrists).Does anyone remember the rest? There was always a gang of kids in those days who lived at the top of Newhall Rd.

We all lived in Yards, no grass or very little, 2 up2 down, and we would hang around on hte street corners. As we got older we would take the bus into town (what was the number 69?). I can recall the 'hole in the road being built' a big event in those days with underground shops and a fishtank which proved to be a good meeting palced later. Bannners and Woolies and Pierpoints other shops on the cliffe (classics of their time). Corner shops, mums having the 'tick' (shame on them) before pay day. Dads taking snap to work (my day drove the train at Brown Bailey's), working 12 hour shifts with no protection from the Heath and safety at work act which only began in 1974. Saturday mornings at the pavilion cinema(sneaking in free through the back toilets) The sand reck past banners and the circus that used to put on a show once a year. Wow, so many great memories of a a rare unbringing. Enough for now, anyboys recollect any of these?

Barnsey

really good to read all of the memories and discussions here about living on the 'cliffe',S9, which was never the most celebrated of postocodes. I went to Matby street junior school from 61 to 67. Anyone remebber the dinner lady in charge. I think she was call Mrs Needhan (something like that), she was very formidable and wore a mans watch on her wrist. Other teachers there were Mr Wild? Headmaster, Miss Nugent(used to slap wrists).Does anyone remember the rest? There was always a gang of kids in those days who lived at the top of Newhall Rd.

We all lived in Yards, no grass or very little, 2 up2 down, and we would hang around on hte street corners. As we got older we would take the bus into town (what was the number 69?). I can recall the 'hole in the road being built' a big event in those days with underground shops and a fishtank which proved to be a good meeting palced later. Bannners and Woolies and Pierpoints other shops on the cliffe (classics of their time). Corner shops, mums having the 'tick' (shame on them) before pay day. Dads taking snap to work (my day drove the train at Brown Bailey's), working 12 hour shifts with no protection from the Heath and safety at work act which only began in 1974. Saturday mornings at the pavilion cinema(sneaking in free through the back toilets) The sand reck past banners and the circus that used to put on a show once a year. Wow, so many great memories of a a rare unbringing. Enough for now, anyboys recollect any of these?

Barnsey

I left Maltby St School in 1957 but I can remember Mrs Needham used to be in charge of the showers then.

Teachers I remember were Miss Worral, Mr Beech and it was Mr. Thompson that was head then I think.

I remember Rippon Street rec that was the sandy one and Carbrook rec where the nursery was.

The Adelphi was the pictures I went to most because my Grandma worked there and she had a complimentary pass that we could use.

I was able to take a drive down Newhall Rd a couple of years ago and by the time I was able to get my bearings, we were at Brightside.:huh:

Archived