Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

I left Maltby St School in 1957 but I can remember Mrs Needham used to be in charge of the showers then.

Teachers I remember were Miss Worral, Mr Beech and it was Mr. Thompson that was head then I think.

I remember Rippon Street rec that was the sandy one and Carbrook rec where the nursery was.

The Adelphi was the pictures I went to most because my Grandma worked there and she had a complimentary pass that we could use.

I was able to take a drive down Newhall Rd a couple of years ago and by the time I was able to get my bearings, we were at Brightside.:huh:

Did you ever go to the Globe or Pavilion?

HI AJ

Thanks for thread on D NADIN i am going to start on Coleridge RD school do you remember teacher Fitspatric he took the training for the rugby team i was a member of the team i have a photo of the team some where, iam trying to remember the football teacher i think it was nailer a little man smoked a pipe used to walk us little wembly on wed afternoon past the rolling mills we used to nip in the mills to have a drink of water

some times get left behind and skive of home or sit on canal side and have a fag regards

DTM

hi dtm

remember all teachers you said the headmaster was mr gb thomas i was at coleridge rd 1950/54

walking to little wembly calling in at cutty meadows for drink of water do you have any brothers or sister memory not what it used to be do you rember the bennett bros lived oppersite u can you recall any others namesfew i rember from your age petre ross dennis lockwood david cooke regards aj

HI all you Carbrook lads i keep reading the differant threads and they are getting better all the time one thing i would like to mention is about the baths as well as soup i allways had a pennys worth of brillcream. Allso when it was cold in the baths we would sneak back into the little slipper foot baths for a warm till the attendant chucked us out he was a nasty piece of work just a couple more memories DTM

hi dtm

many happy at attercliffe baths for 2p and bath ticket plus soup do you remenber you could tur on hot water in slipper bath with snakebelt when the attendant was not about

when we left school and working using the slipper baths upstairs sat before a good saterday night on the cliffe regard aj

really good to read all of the memories and discussions here about living on the 'cliffe',S9, which was never the most celebrated of postocodes. I went to Matby street junior school from 61 to 67. Anyone remebber the dinner lady in charge. I think she was call Mrs Needhan (something like that), she was very formidable and wore a mans watch on her wrist. Other teachers there were Mr Wild? Headmaster, Miss Nugent(used to slap wrists).Does anyone remember the rest? There was always a gang of kids in those days who lived at the top of Newhall Rd.

We all lived in Yards, no grass or very little, 2 up2 down, and we would hang around on hte street corners. As we got older we would take the bus into town (what was the number 69?). I can recall the 'hole in the road being built' a big event in those days with underground shops and a fishtank which proved to be a good meeting palced later. Bannners and Woolies and Pierpoints other shops on the cliffe (classics of their time). Corner shops, mums having the 'tick' (shame on them) before pay day. Dads taking snap to work (my day drove the train at Brown Bailey's), working 12 hour shifts with no protection from the Heath and safety at work act which only began in 1974. Saturday mornings at the pavilion cinema(sneaking in free through the back toilets) The sand reck past banners and the circus that used to put on a show once a year. Wow, so many great memories of a a rare unbringing. Enough for now, anyboys recollect any of these?

Barnsey

hi barnsley

dont regret being part of the s9 postcode

what fine place to grow up what values our parent taught us lived at carbrook

from 1939/62 had all the good times down there we were all in the same boat

hard working mostly honest remember walking to maltby st school showers from coleridge rd school the lady in charge was a little bit sharpwith stick she carried still have a great love for the old eastend perhaps it because we are nowall wrinkles going to pavilion,globe adhelfi regal some times the palace

regards aj

HI GreenGinger

I used to walk up Broughton lane of Ravensworh rd past the BIRD IN HAND by the Enfield pub on past the RAILway pub up to the Railway cottages over the canal bridge turn left and into Tinsley Park woods we spent days and days bird nesting, up to High Hasels Park or go the other way to wards Tinsley or to Treeton if we were on the bone shaker

we would be out all day and some summer nights were has the last 74 years gone DTM

Archived