Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

I lived on Cottingham Street and went to Woodbourn Road school until 1959. I also remember Susan Grimshaw and the shock of her passing away. She may have been in my year at school and could even be on an old class photo I have which probably dates back to around 1956. Miss Hill is there along with a teacher whose name escapes me but I think she emigrated to Australia. I was born in 1951 so if anyone on the forum was born around that time we were probably in the same school year and it would be great to hear your memories too.

I lived on Cottingham Street and went to Woodbourn Road school until 1959. I also remember Susan Grimshaw and the shock of her passing away. She may have been in my year at school and could even be on an old class photo I have which probably dates back to around 1956. Miss Hill is there along with a teacher whose name escapes me but I think she emigrated to Australia. I was born in 1951 so if anyone on the forum was born around that time we were probably in the same school year and it would be great to hear your memories too.

I also lived on Cottingham Street, was born in 1954, but you would be about the same age as one of my brothers, John Whiteley. I don't remember Susan Grimshaw but I was in the same class as one of her sisters, Diana, also worked with Diana up to last December.

I remember the name Whiteley and think that John is on the photograph. Was he quite small for his age when he was around 6 or 7? If so the picture shows him sat on the floor, cross-legged with a very gummy grin as a lot of his front teeth are missing !! I shall have to ask my son if it's possible to post this picture on the foram. I am worse than useless at anything like that. By the way our house number was 158. Nice to hear from you !

HI all i can remember miss Renshaw she used to sit on a stool in front of class with her knees crossed she used to show a little more than she should, a certain teacher was having it of with her she was quiet a stunner they used to go into the teachers office where they had there break i made the tea for them well put the kettle on for them and i saw more than i should. Does any one remember D Hobson from the school is it the one assortiated with Boxing i used to go to a gym up Handsworth hill instead of going to night school, I was a painter and decerator apprentice my boss lived of Stanifirth rd

i think they called him Ghandi i pushed the barrow with the ladders on many a mile, mems

once again at least happy ones DTM

Hi Derek/ The gym up Handsworth Hill was Rex Graves on the left hand side just after the roundabout. I went there for a short time around 1959 and watched the lightweight boxer Billy Calvert work out on one occasion. I believe that Rex Graves was a boxer in his day?? Anyone?

Mickr thanks for info i went to school coleridge rd both the Calvert bros went there i left late forties and moved to Saxilby near Lincoln, The Calverts used to come out our area with there friends fishing and drink in my local the Sun Inn in Saxilby. Ronny Billys bros semi retired to a place out side Skegness. REX was a retired Boxer and he could hit believe me. Back to the school Coleridge Rd we used to have to walk past a Sulphur factory just down the rd from school and all the glass windows had it on you could hardly see through them, just a few more mems DTM

Hi SueW

I was born in 1951 and I also remember Susan Grimshaw's sad passing, I can still picture her with her long brown plaits. I also remember Miss Hill and do you remember Mr Mallaband, the headmaster of Woodbourne School.

I lived on the corner of Ferneough street and Staniforth Road, this was replaced by shopacheck.

Hi SueW

I was born in 1951 and I also remember Susan Grimshaw's sad passing, I can still picture her with her long brown plaits. I also remember Miss Hill and do you remember Mr Mallaband, the headmaster of Woodbourne School.

I lived on the corner of Ferneough street and Staniforth Road, this was replaced by shopacheck.

Hi RoseHadi

Yes I do remember Mr Mallaband and Mrs Gleadhill who was the reception class teacher. I think the teacher, whose name I couldn't remember the other day, may have been Miss Smith. My mum was a bit of a hoarder and I still have some schoolwork from the 1950's. I suppose the fact that I've held on to it makes me just as bad! Do you remember learning about "Nanook of the north"? If you view my posts you will see that I recently recalled the names of a few of my old classmates. My name then was Susan Watson. Funnily enough I don't live a million miles from where you are now.

Archived