Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

Yes i remember him.Strange guy who had a terrible nickname"fly catcher".He did always seem to be covered in coal dust tho.:)

Was it Billy Wainwright.He walked about with a dog on a string lead after he finished on the coal.He worked for a Mr, Ash on sorby Street.

Hi Kidorry, wow did you live on Sorby Street, I to remember Mr Ash the Coal merchant, they kept hens and chickens up the coal yard, we could purchase new laid eggs from him, I lived in the yard next but one down from the Coal merchants yard, next yard down from us was Joe Lumbys ice cream man, we used to go there on a Sunday afternoon and by 2/- worth of ice cream (10p in 'new money', it made sandwiches for the 2 adults and 3 children in our family.

Billy Wainwright lived on our street, he was harmless but looked scarry, he took me a ride on a bike with no brakes, scared my mother stiff, do you remember any one from Sorby Street??

Sounds like him. I remember he was tall and lean with his mouth always ' fully ' wide open and permenant coal dust on his face. I think he slept like that as is face was the same even early morning.

Wow, it always amazes me when I come on this site....so many memories. I lived on Titterton Street just below Huntsmans Gardens - and then lived in Darnall after gettin married so all my memories are of going to "flicks" and skating rink, dancing up above the skating rink, poppin in "Brit" and "Cocked Hat" and "Cutlers" with the rest of them! Went to Huntsmans for a few years and then on to Hatfield house (what a trek that was every day...) Anyone remember Tom Freeman, coalman from Shirland Lane - i married his grandson Barrie who lived on same road. Seems like someone's lookin at putting some more money into Attercliffe according to "Youtube" - needs some of us "oldies" to have some input - we're the ones that made the place the best!!

Wow, it always amazes me when I come on this site....so many memories. I lived on Titterton Street just below Huntsmans Gardens - and then lived in Darnall after gettin married so all my memories are of going to "flicks" and skating rink, dancing up above the skating rink, poppin in "Brit" and "Cocked Hat" and "Cutlers" with the rest of them! Went to Huntsmans for a few years and then on to Hatfield house (what a trek that was every day...) Anyone remember Tom Freeman, coalman from Shirland Lane - i married his grandson Barrie who lived on same road. Seems like someone's lookin at putting some more money into Attercliffe according to "Youtube" - needs some of us "oldies" to have some input - we're the ones that made the place the best!!

Attercliffe will never be ' Attercliffe ' again regardless of money spent. People are different in their ways now ; and those days will never come back. Thanks to this thread though we can re-live them.

http://family-tree.co.uk/familyblogs/bessie/2008/01/24/attercliffe-sheffield-in-the-1920s-and-1930s/

Apologies if this link has appeared earlier but I came across it searching for Darnall dog track and thought it would bring back memories for Attercliffe people who hadn't previously seen it?

Thanks for this link. I have not explored it yet but look forward to the pleasure later in the day.

I am a ' Cliff ' lad through and through and was lucky enough spend my childhood and teens there. What larks.

Sounds like him. I remember he was tall and lean with his mouth always ' fully ' wide open and permenant coal dust on his face. I think he slept like that as is face was the same even early morning.
i remember him we knew him as yawner,he used to come in white hart and down 8 pints in half hour.who remembers barraclough?walked up and down cliffe with his flying helmet on.i was born on chippingham st,then we moved to ferguson st then to darnall after demolition.did all my boozing ont cliffe brilliant days.

Archived