Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

hi redfyre,spent quite a few new years eves at st clements in the square,after the parents came out of the forge of course.my dad came from alfred rd his name was charles hepplestone but no one knew as that everyone knew him as spike.he was related to the johnsons and ashworths and aistrups.

I knew Sammy Ashworth --we were at school together in the late 1940s and he was for a time the goalkeeper in the Newhall football team. Sadly, he died a couple of years or so ago. I remember the Johnsons, too, and, as for the Aistrups, was that the same family in which one of them had been a bookie way back --and the son (Sid?) played for Newhall in the 1920s (in the same team as Hary Gooney) and then went to live in Blackpool in later life?

Hi Redfyre,

Dad's name Wilfred - must have been quite well known. We are in Australia and my husband even met someone here that new him. Two bothers, Bill and Frank, six sisters, Aggie, Hilda, Minnie, Doris, Alice, and Marion. They lived on the right hand side of Alfred Rd. not that far from Newhall Rd and the entry to the yard was round the corner on another street. Only one of the brothers, Frank, had kids and I know that they lived at Darnall. Pretty sure that the boys name was Robert, not sure about the girl but think it was something like Patsy or Nancy. Four of the sisters had children but as I can't remember their surnames don't know how to go about finding them unless I do a family tree.

Didn't have anything to do with my dad's side of the family after my parents passed away, mum in 1957 and Dad in 1958. My maternal grandmother brought me up and didn't encourage my dad's family to visit!

Thanks for your help.

Dors.

I am sure there will be people who remember Wilf Turner from the top end of Alfred Road. I will ask around, but, anyway, there are a number of other places on SF which mention Attercliffe and, specifically, Newhall. There are also some references and pictures relating to Newhall on http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/ (where it is free to register); and you might also look at Sheffield Indexers --explore every avenue to ensure as many people as possible know of your search. It's amazing what can be achieved with a bit of persistence! You could even write to the Sheffield Star newspaper --readersletters@sheffieldnewspapers.co.uk

HI ALL

I keep reading threads, and people go on about photos, of Attercliffe Carbrook Schools ext how or where do i find them DTM

Look on picture sheffield Derek, loads of pictures of every area on there.

I knew Sammy Ashworth --we were at school together in the late 1940s and he was for a time the goalkeeper in the Newhall football team. Sadly, he died a couple of years or so ago. I remember the Johnsons, too, and, as for the Aistrups, was that the same family in which one of them had been a bookie way back --and the son (Sid?) played for Newhall in the 1920s (in the same team as Hary Gooney) and then went to live in Blackpool in later life?
vaguely recall my dad mentioning a sammy but think he was johnson,but i wasn't born till 47.remember a bunny ashworth and a billy johnson.aistrups i don't know much about they had a daughter called ann.then there was the capells lived in the square,sonny/dot

Redfyre: did you know Victor Ashworth he was a cousin to Sonny Capille, Spike Hepplestone, & Sammy Johnson. Girlie Aistrop was married to Charlie Johnson for a while they divorced. You refered to someone in the family being a bookie, that would have been Dick Mellon.In Keith Farnsworth,s ( Sheffields Eastenders ) book there is aphoto of Harry Gooney & school team in the early 1920,s.Another name to join the clan was Rudge, Herbert & Sammy they also were cousins

Hi All

Does anyone here remember Cyril Edwards c1930+. He was an electrician and used to fix everyones telly's and fridges etc. He married Joan Hinchliffe in 1939 at St Albans Church, Darnall. They lived on Coleridge Road, Ripon Street and Arras Street, before leaving Sheffield in 1956.

Joan's Dad George Hinchliffe, had a chip shop on Attercliffe common about 1920.

Any idea wher they moved to,Iused to be friends with his daughter Anne

I am sure there will be people who remember Wilf Turner from the top end of Alfred Road. I will ask around, but, anyway, there are a number of other places on SF which mention Attercliffe and, specifically, Newhall. There are also some references and pictures relating to Newhall on http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/ (where it is free to register); and you might also look at Sheffield Indexers --explore every avenue to ensure as many people as possible know of your search. It's amazing what can be achieved with a bit of persistence! You could even write to the Sheffield Star newspaper --readersletters@sheffieldnewspapers.co.uk

Thanks for that idea regarding The Star. My husband wrote to them once because he wanted to to know the name of a particular pub in Sheffield. The Star published the letter and he had about 100 emails most of them giving him the name of the pub in question. It's worth a try.

Dors.

Hi cliffsharky, Just read your post about Bowen St. Just dug my old Sheffield Telegraph 1962 street guide out and it shows Bowen st ,off Ripon st,!. Which was at the top of Worthing Rd, if my memory serves me right,?? hope that helps you ??

Girlie Aistrop's daughter Ann lived in the Pye Bank area of Pitsmoor for many years.There is a well known photo of Girlie and the Newhall Boys football team.
hi,use to see ann regular when she lived on fox st,haven,t seen her for years.

Archived