Anyone here from Attercliffe?

brooksy

my next door neigbour joan had the gate pub on attercliffe and shes been telling me how busy the pub was when all the steelworks were opend. she also told me a lot of them who were on the nightshift would clock in then stop in the pub very late. how times have changed and as soon as the steel works went the pub went into decline and closed.

My mom and dad used to go in the gate, so did I. I know joan and her son steve.

Maltby street school was at the back of the tram car pub. The road is still there its the first left pass Newhall Road going to Tinsley.

The school is still there, it was renamed a few years ago, and was relaunched as a "special needs" school.

My former mother-in-law was a pupil at Maltby Street School, during the war (wwII), having been brought up on Brompton Road.

I thought I had seen photos on the FR website where it was being demolished....:o I knew it had become a special needs school a while ago and wondered why they had got rid of it anyway...oh well that's a surprise.:thumbsup:

The school is still there, it was renamed a few years ago, and was relaunched as a "special needs" school.

My former mother-in-law was a pupil at Maltby Street School, during the war (wwII), having been brought up on Brompton Road.

The school's no longer there unfortunately :( Was pulled down bout 2 years since. I organised several school reunions & the first one over 200 turned up, all age groups & I organised a trip around the school. It was a Sat afternoon, the staff very kindly provided refreshments in the dining room. It was a wonderful day of nostalgia ........... I attended Maltby St as did my dad & my nan before him, all Attercliffe born n bred & proud of it :)

or the the cocked hat

The White Hart pub is still there (though no longer a pub) at the edge of Don Valley stadium.How has it survived.Why wasnt it flatted with Brown Bayleys steelworks.Does anybody know why?We used to go in there when we did the night shifts of 6pm to 7am.One chargehand took us in for 30 minutes and the other for 60 minutes.Its frightening to think that we worked in the air on repairing cranes etc after drinking sometimes (stupidly) 5 pints in the hour.The follies of youth !!!!!!

The White Hart pub is still there (though no longer a pub) at the edge of Don Valley stadium.How has it survived.Why wasnt it flatted with Brown Bayleys steelworks.Does anybody know why?We used to go in there when we did the night shifts of 6pm to 7am.One chargehand took us in for 30 minutes and the other for 60 minutes.Its frightening to think that we worked in the air on repairing cranes etc after drinking sometimes (stupidly) 5 pints in the hour.The follies of youth !!!!!!
can remember when my hubby was at BBs in the 60s but they climbed the wall into white harts back yard,heard somewhere its a listed building thats why its never been knocked down can't swear to it though.thats where we learnt how to drink.

can remember when my hubby was at BBs in the 60s but they climbed the wall into white harts back yard,heard somewhere its a listed building thats why its never been knocked down can't swear to it though.thats where we learnt how to drink.
ted badger was the landlord then.

Archived