Profit what is it?

Most shares are owned by institutions, pension schemes, investment funds, and the like.

So that's where most of the money goes.

Actually that's a gross over simplification, just because a company makes a profit doesn't mean it has to be immediately disposed of. Lots of the money will be held to pay for investment, r&d, sudden downturns in business, aquisitions of other companies, restructuring costs, and all the other possible unforseens that might happen.

Sometimes no profit is paid out as share dividend, sometimes all of it. It all depends.

You have it there in a nut shell basically.

The Great Monarch of International Capitalism is just a ramshackle maybe tommorrow kind of carry on.

Capitalism, as one great thinker said 'lurches from crisis to another'

Mind you the alternative may be even worse! :suspect:

If it makes anyone feel better about the profits BA have made (and it won't unless you work for BA :) ) Willie Walsh, chief executive, said: "........all our staff will share in a £48m bonus. "

So that is where some of their 'profit' goes.....

Atleast some good news, but let us see if it is fair shares for all :thumbsup:

Artisan

I own my own company. I am the main shareholder. I invested lots of my own time and money into making it a success. I took all the risks, and if it failed, I'd take on all the debt.

So why should I give the profit away that I make?

I thought jealous commies like you died away many years ago.

Artisan

I own my own company. I am the main shareholder. I invested lots of my own time and money into making it a success. I took all the risks, and if it failed, I'd take on all the debt.

So why should I give the profit away that I make?

I thought jealous commies like you died away many years ago.

Commie? I am a life long member of the Conservative Party and hold its traditions dear. I too have my own business as does my son and various other relatives.

This does not me seeing the truth about capitalism though.

And if you run your business on hissy fits then you will fail and fail miserably.

A slight aisde....

Some years ago whilst studying for my MBA I found myself on a residential course with a guy form a large, multi-national oil company. One morning he came in to breakfast and announced that he had to disappear back to the company for a day or two, because, wait for it, his arm of the company had made a profit and he had to deal with it. :)

Apparently the office he worked in had been set up to provide an EU presence, but was supposed NOT to make too much money for tax reasons. Apparently they just did stock market trading, and they'd traded a little too well. So he was going back to effectively lose some money. :loopy:

Commie? I am a life long member of the Conservative Party and hold its traditions dear. I too have my own business as does my son and various other relatives.

This does not me seeing the truth about capitalism though.

And if you run your business on hissy fits then you will fail and fail miserably.

A tory that despises capitalism? I knew this thread was a wind up!

I'm sure my hissy fits will not have as bad an impact on my business as your proposed 99% tax on dividends comrade!

A tory that despises capitalism? I knew this thread was a wind up!

I'm sure my hissy fits will not have as bad an impact on my business as your proposed 99% tax on dividends comrade!

Took you a full day to work that out?

You'll need to be quicker on the Stock Exchange than that :D

Its true I do have own engineering business though.

Archived