Profit what is it?

Profit = Total Revenue - Costs.

If they're cutting jobs, it's so they can lower costs.. which will probably have a knock on effect to quality, which in the long run will mean less sales, which means less revenue.. So I don't know why they bother :)

what do you do with your profit then artisan?

At the end of the day it always seems to work out that I have no profit, it all is ploughed back in, as a small company I do not consider myself to be an international capitalist, but a working man.:cool:

I started this thread talking about capitalism, not one man bands with pretentions

At the end of the day it always seems to work out that I have no profit, it all is ploughed back in, as a small company I do not consider myself to be an international capitalist, but a working man.:cool:

I started this thread talking about capitalism, not one man bands with pretentions

There is no profit due to the large salary the owner is paid!

More than one way to skin cat :)

edit typo

• 4 years later...
The Chairman of BA has just announced something like 'this will be our most successful year ever. Jobs will go, but profits will rise enormously.'

Who do these profits go to? Not the people who have worked for them and then lost their jobs.

Is the definition of success making the capitalist more secure in his ivory tower?

I'd rather people invested in agriculture, and did not make a profit, with their investments remaining the same. People would rather invest in something that makes them a handsome profit in the short term however, we all lose eventually, but some far more than others.

How do you think bigger companies started? As one man bands, that then hired someone...

A company is a company and profit is profit, the scale of the enterprise doesn't alter that.

There is no profit due to the large salary the owner is paid!

More than one way to skin cat :)

edit typo

That would be a foolish way to run a small company. Salaries attract tax payments and NI payments. Profit should be released as dividend. The end result is the same, but the company has to have made a profit in order to pay dividend.

Archived