Question about glasses

My lad jad and eye test due to suffering regular headaches and blurred vision in one eye. They said he needs glasses. When he picked them up and tried them on not only did it make his vision worse but it left him with a headache all day. The opticians said this is normal and it will take around two weeks for his eyes to adjust. I dont wear them but to me this seems crazy. Surly glasses should make his eyes better from the off and to consign my son to two weeks of headaches seems cruel.

Can anyone advise me on this, is this the way it goes?

I have never known glasses make vision worse, although I have known them cause a slight headache for first time wearers.

Was the optician one of the big players? Sometimes they try to fob you at first, but all opticians should fit your new specs and get you to read a card to make sure all is well. Did they do that?

I have never known glasses make vision worse, although I have known them cause a slight headache for first time wearers.

Was the optician one of the big players? Sometimes they try to fob you at first, but all opticians should fit your new specs and get you to read a card to make sure all is well. Did they do that?

It was Scrivens in Rotherham. They gave him a card to read and he said right from the off it made things more fuzzy. Then on the way home he complained of a headache. He is booked in again to speak to the optician on Tuesday but from speaking to them on the phone I think they are going to try and fob us off.

---------- Post added 08-07-2017 at 19:53 ----------

My husband had something like this once and it turned out his prescription was wrong, the optician retested him and replaced his glasses free of charge.

This was my initial thought but as I a m lucky and have never needed them I wasnt 100%. I am going to ask them to retest him when I take him on Tuesday. Hopefully they will sort the issue out, the poor lad has had a lot of health issues lately and this is the last thing he needs.

I had my eyes tested at one opticians but bought the frame and had the lenses made up at another. When I tried the on they were fuzzy and out of focuse, evidently wrong. I was ssured they were made according to the prescription I had supplied and had to pay them.

went back to the first optician who admitted they had written the prescription down wrong and supplied the correct lenses.

Dimple..... Don't let them fob you off. They do make mistakes.

A few years ago at Boots Opticians the optician put one of the lenses into my husbands frames 90 degrees the wrong way round. At first they insisted nothing was wrong..... finally they re checked the glasses and admitted it was their mistake !

Then lo and behold a couple of years ago the same thing happened at Vision Express .... lense fitted at 90 degrees out. Again they tried to tell him it was fine

but my husband insisted they were wrong and they rectified the mistake !!

I just wonder how many times this happens !

What opticians sometimes do is bad for their business. If this happens they can't see further than the end of their nose! But seriously, my eyes need a complicated prescription. My body's lens are not only short sighted but have spherical aberration as well. Instead of being almost spherical they have a cylindrical component in them. Each eye is different. This means the optician's lens have what they call a wedge in them and therefore a preferred axis and if the lens aren't put in the frames correctly my eyes hurt. To make things worse, when I'm tired the position of this axis changes in my own eyes but not in the glass lens of course. After several years of opticians assuming that my short sightedness must be getting worse as I grow older and trying to get the glasses right based on that idea (and the usual tests) I gave up and now I've settled for a prescription a couple of years old, which was the least bad one. I also tip my glasses one way or the other and that sometimes helps for a while. Eyes can be tricky things.

Edited by woolyhead

What opticians sometimes do is bad for their business. If this happens they can't see further than the end of their nose! But seriously, my eyes need a complicated prescription. My body's lens are not only short sighted but have spherical aberration as well. Instead of being almost spherical they have a cylindrical component in them. Each eye is different. This means the optician's lens have a preferred axis and if the lens aren't put in the frames correctly my eyes hurt. To make things worse, when I'm tired the position of this axis changes in my own eyes but not in the glass lens of course. After several years of trying to get the glasses right I gave up and now I've settled for a prescription a couple of years old, which was the least bad one. Eyes can be tricky things.

I have always found that Boots seem to do the best eye tests.

My wife had a similar experience with glasses made at Specsavers the optical focal point was ground in the wrong place giving her blurred vision and head aches, took them back and had a refund since then we have used Lugtons Opticians in Chapeltown where they seem to take more time and care at your eye test they also have their own work shop to make lenses, Boots, Asda Opticians seem to be to pushy to sell you some glasses, the only down side with Lugtons it's a small two shop business so their range of glasses is very small but their service better, it's all down to a matter of taste.

Edited by MEC176