Question about glasses

My lad jad and eye test due to suffering regular headaches and blurred vision in one eye. They said he needs glasses. When he picked them up and tried them on not only did it make his vision worse but it left him with a headache all day. The opticians said this is normal and it will take around two weeks for his eyes to adjust. I dont wear them but to me this seems crazy. Surly glasses should make his eyes better from the off and to consign my son to two weeks of headaches seems cruel.

Can anyone advise me on this, is this the way it goes?

Try a different optician. It sounds as though you are being fobbed off with the 1 week story. It should not take this long to get used to the lenses. 24-48 at the very most.

I had similar issues with Spec Saver. They tried to fob me off and it worked out they had set the iris point wrong.

Vision Express in Meadowhall (up stairs) are great, I would recommend them to anyone.

I'm shortsighted and when I first got glasses I could not see a thing close up and struggled to read without getting a headache.

It's because if your short-sightedness isn't corrected for a while, your eyes don't have to work to view things clearly close up, then when it does get corrected they suddenly do and it screws you up for a while.

Anyway after a week or so it was fine, so it could be correct that it just needs time to settle, but of course if you're concerned I'd get a second opinion.

FWIW I wouldn't ever go to Scrivens. I went there a couple of times and it was more like a high pressure sales pitch than a medical exam, and they got my prescription totally wrong - apparently my eyes had magically got better and I needed a weaker prescription that I couldn't see properly with at all!

Then they sent me begging letters every two minutes after I told them to naff off.

Edited by vwkittie

Thank you for all your replies. From what you are all saying im going to be requesting a retest. My lad goes back in today and Ill see if the retest prescription is the same as the first one then go from there. If they dont get it right the second time ill be requesting a refund and will go somewhere else.

Thank you again everyone :-)

---------- Post added 13-07-2017 at 13:17 ----------

Just wanted to let you all know my lads been to the opticians again today and after trying to fob him off they eventually admitted they messed up his glasses.

They are redoing them and should be ready next week.

Thank you all again :-)

• 4 weeks later...