One for the pedal people

While thinking about the Burngreave Road area and a photographer mentioned in the 'Memories of Pitsmoor' thread, I got to thinking about the shops I could remember on Spital Hill.

I started to picture Spital Hill as I remembered it. Starting from the Wicker, on the left hand side going up, there was a herbalist/drinks shop with a juke box, a secondhand shop, a tailors, then I cant picture anymore until coming to a shop on a corner that sold wallpaper. Across the road is a bit vague too, but just farther along was a Wigfalls.

They always had a window full of 'bikes, and the model I remember quite clearly was a racing model called the 'Vox Populi'.

Now 'bikes were in short supply to us kids in those days, families couldn't afford a lot late 40's so 'Wiggies' used to get a lot of snotty noses up against the window.

So anybody remember that particular model of bike? It had all the usual stuff, racing handlebars, derailleur gear, razor blade saddle, plus a gold finish. I think Ralegh made it. Funny thing though, it seems that it wasn't at all popular. Incidentaly 'Vox Populi' is Latin for 'voice of the people', or so I'm told. Mind you, if I'd had the bread I would've had one for sure.

I've been thinking about your reply regarding Fausto Coppi riding the 'Vox Populli'. Surely not the actual model. If I remember right it was made by Ralegh and perhaps under Wigfalls name. Maybe the name 'Vox Populli' didn't have any kind of copyright on it and Ralegh borrowed it? When we were kids, in our depreciating way, we would call any 'bike bought at Wigfalls, a 'Wiggies gas pipe'. The favorits obviously, were Carlton and Sheffield Langsett. Little snobs that we were, none of us had a penny to scratch our ass with.

The wallpaper shop on the corner was called Blaskeys who had a string of shops around sheffield,i remember a pub almost alongside which i think was called The Griffin,then there was The Lodge lower down Spital Hill what a dismal looking place it now is

Archived