Acid attacks on the increase

Where are all these prisoners going to be put - our prisons are full.

Is that a trick question?

Prison of course.

Look, if somebody is going to ruin somebody else's life, like really ruin it by disfiguring or blinding then we're going to have to make some space. No two ways about it.

But that would also mean making it harder to use what we normally use around the house everyday. Its a bit like making cutlery harder to buy because a knife can be used to cause harm...

They have made cutlery harder to buy: you have to be 18+ to buy a knife now. I'm not sure that helps much though.

But I think we are talking about chemicals that are an order of magnitude stronger than the ordinary domestic cleaners: I don't see any great problem with having to show some proper ID to buy them.

And I certainly have no problem with classing them as an offensive weapon, in the same way that knives are.

Cant argue with that. We also drink carbonated drinks that give out CO2 which also harms the environment, should we ban fizzy pop, beer and lager as well?

Fizzy pop only gives it out because it has been put in. Beer has it as a product of the fermentation, but I think you're going ad absurdum and know it full well.

---------- Post added 15-07-2017 at 08:27 ----------

Look, if somebody is going to ruin somebody else's life, like really ruin it by disfiguring or blinding then we're going to have to make some space. No two ways about it.

I wouldn't say *no* two ways about it: we could get imaginative about our punishments...

Cant argue with that. We also drink carbonated drinks that give out CO2 which also harms the environment, should we ban fizzy pop, beer and lager as well?

Its not a matter of banning them; over 18s only, proof of age if below 25, could more be done?

The criminologist on Sky News was saying unless you're willing to examine the underlying demand for violence no amount of legislation will change the outcome. Make acid harder to acquire and suddenly scolding water becomes a weapon of choice.

Absolutely agree. Ban a gun, a knife will be used. Ban a knife, acid is used. Ban acid, something else will be used.

Unless we can understand why the violence is happening there is no chance of stopping it. The idea that banning something will lead to automatic sunshine and flowers is just wishful thinking.

That aside, there is something uniquely awful about an acid attack, especially when the victim is a women and I fully support a life sentence for the attacker.

That aside, there is something uniquely awful about an acid attack, especially when the victim is a women and I fully support a life sentence for the attacker.

Internet usage is governed by law, internet service providers keep data on who did what, with information storage being so easy these days; maybe retailers could only take payment by card - we are heading for a cash-less society anyway.

I wouldn't say *no* two ways about it: we could get imaginative about our punishments...

Yes, I like that train of thought and whatever the punishment, tights and a pink tutu are mandatory.

Edited by medusa
fixed tags

Absolutely agree. Ban a gun, a knife will be used. Ban a knife, acid is used. Ban acid, something else will be used.

Unless we can understand why the violence is happening there is no chance of stopping it. The idea that banning something will lead to automatic sunshine and flowers is just wishful thinking.

I agree with everything you write about this topic. Acid attacks bring about a similar revulsion as when the likes of Assad use chemical weapons against his own people.

No problem:

Whosoever shall unlawfully and maliciously cause any gunpowder or other explosive substance to explode, or send or deliver to or cause to be taken or received by any person any explosive substance or any other dangerous or noxious thing, or put or lay at any place, or cast or throw at or upon or otherwise apply to any person, any corrosive fluid or any destructive or explosive substance, with intent in any of the cases aforesaid to burn, maim, disfigure, or disable any person, or to do some grievous bodily harm to any person, shall, whether any bodily injury be effected or not, be guilty of felony, and being convicted thereof shall be liable, at the discretion of the court, to be kept in penal servitude for life . . . or to be imprisoned

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/24-25/100/section/29