Acid attacks on the increase

They have made cutlery harder to buy: you have to be 18+ to buy a knife now. I'm not sure that helps much though.

But I think we are talking about chemicals that are an order of magnitude stronger than the ordinary domestic cleaners: I don't see any great problem with having to show some proper ID to buy them.

And I certainly have no problem with classing them as an offensive weapon, in the same way that knives are.

The problem is it does not matter what the age limit is raised to. Out of 208 acid attacks in the UK last year less than a handful were done by under 18's. The same also goes for knives as there is still plenty of knife crimes despite the age limits.

Fizzy pop only gives it out because it has been put in. Beer has it as a product of the fermentation, but I think you're going ad absurdum and know it full well.

Glad you realised it as of course I was being absurd and just pointing out that banning stuff does not mean it stops the problem. ;)

The problem is it does not matter what the age limit is raised to. Out of 208 acid attacks in the UK last year less than a handful were done by under 18's. The same also goes for knives as there is still plenty of knife crimes despite the age limits.

And the point is that we should treat all dangerous items in a similar way. You cannot ban everything, but we can monitor what is being sold so it is a deterrent.

In the USA it would be daft to ban these chemicals, because other dangerous weapons are freely available.

Just showing your ID would be a start.

Guest makapaka

They may have increased but they are still rare and even more unlikely if you're not up to no good.

Don't let it worry you.

Does carrying a knife suddenly make you go all stabby? Take care in the kitchen dude!

Sorry, I don't seem to be getting your point? Are you saying it's ok to carry knives in public? :huh: I'm sure you're intelligent enough to realise that I meant on the street and not in the kitchen.

Sorry, I don't seem to be getting your point? Are you saying it's ok to carry knives in public? :huh: I'm sure you're intelligent enough to realise that I meant on the street and not in the kitchen.

I carry a knife on me practically all the time. I've never felt compelled to stab anyone.

EDIT: it's not only ok, but perfectly legal as long as the blade isn't locked or fixed.

Put them down,people who've done this to other people are evil.

at last someone else who thinks these subhumans should be put down,if found guilty of course.

---------- Post added 15-07-2017 at 21:18 ----------

i can think of hundreds of every day items that would be just as effective as acid in disabling a moped rider,even salt and water,so banning acids is pointless.

at last someone else who thinks these subhumans should be put down,if found guilty of course.

---------- Post added 15-07-2017 at 21:18 ----------

i can think of hundreds of every day items that would be just as effective as acid in disabling a moped rider,even salt and water,so banning acids is pointless.

In the current climate if I was a young man on a moped in east London I would probably be persuaded off my ride with the mere threat of an unidentifiable liquid. Could be anything in a bottle!