Public sector pay

If you vote for Corbyn, they will get taxed until their pips squeak.

That should calm your frothing down

Along with everyone else too, Corbyn wouldn't just stop at high end earners. His spending pledges would need some serious taxation across the whole board.

It's funny I totally didn't hear him say that. Perhaps I wasn't concentrating but I thought he said that he wouldn't discuss what was said in a private cabinet meeting.

but given what he may or may not have said is out in the public domain you would have thought he would have taken the opportunity to put the record straight and correct any misinterpretations about what he said or didn't say.

Along with everyone else too, Corbyn wouldn't just stop at high end earners. His spending pledges would need some serious taxation across the whole board.

Yes, that's exactly what happened before. The "rich", was anyone with a job, any job.

Then we get taxed. I'd rather be taxed and have something useful to show for it than the current situation of being taxed but continue to watch our services and our society rot away whilst morons stoke up hatred by blaming innocent minorities for it.

If you want a decent country to live in then you shouldn't complain when you're asked to pay for it.

Osborne commissioned a report which was intended to show that public sector pay was higher than private sector pay in various regions. It was envisaged that pay would be adjusted up or down depending on the location and numbers of people wanting public sector jobs.

It was called the Hays report into Market Facing Pay. Unfortunately it proved the opposite so was quietly dumped.

Edited by taxman

It is perfectly possible that you are witnessing a bit of positioning before the inevitable leadership battle this autumn. Unattributed briefings about things that might or might not have been said in a meeting, designed to damage his reputation. Hammond, after all, is a front runner to replace May.

Well worth taking with a pinch of salt.

Undoubtably it was leaked for that reason but it doesn't make a difference if he said it, as he seems to have done. Saying that having a slightly better pension that someone else (and they are only slightly better) isn't an excuse for continuing to cut public sector wages. They can't pay their mortgages/rents and bills today with pensions they won't receive for decades.

Then we get taxed. I'd rather be taxed and have something useful to show.

Fully agree with that sentiment but the chances are you wouldn't have anything to show for it. If you have been through college/Uni or whatever further education or apprenticeship, and are then just a normal working class taxpayer then I think you can probably just Rhubarb. The roads will still be crap, you will still be waiting an age for a Doctors appointment.

Now on the other hand, if you had the option to pay extra tax and choose what it went to then I would be all for it.

Typically right wing nutjobbery.

Because some staff are overpaid (like < 1% of staff) then all staff are overpaid.

My post was very short so I'm surprised that you managed to misunderstand it.

At no point did I say that all public sector staff are overpaid.

If your first instinct wasn't to throw out some infantile abuse you might take the time to understand that excessive pay levels at the top of any organisation, including the public sector, almost inevitably have a negative impact on the pay of staff on lower pay scales.

As a parent of two NHS staff and one police officer I am well aware that public sector staff are not overpaid. I actually think that, after several years of austerity, most (but not all) of them are badly underpaid. Just throwing money willy-nilly at the public sector is not the solution, there also needs to be action to address the imbalance between pay at the top and pay at the bottom.

Edited by Broakham