Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

Well I can say they have wasted money..

Back in May / June they re-surfaced our area (except the pavement on my side of the road)

Since then, they have started building a school across the road (so much noise, all day, every day, even at weekends :( - but that's another story)

as part of this, they have (so far) ripped up 3 of the pavements, and parts of the road they previously re-surfaced, and have now re-surfaced them again....

If they knew the school was being built, why didn't they delay the original re-surfacing, and save money and only do it once.

Maybe if Amey had spent less time on removing our paving slabs and ruining our footpaths with glaring concrete and tarmac , they could have finished the roads. The paving slabs were perfect, and would outlive Amey's contract time. I suspect they were designated for another job, in another city ,or even another country .We ,Sheffield tax payers ,are being taken to the cleaners. AND they can't blame bad weather for their lack of progress on the roads. Driving around today on the pot hole infested roads, I was hard pressed to find re done ones.

or any being done .

---------- Post added 23-10-2017 at 19:45 ----------

Perhaps the renegotiating can be used by the council to regain some control over the tree removal situation. But I doubt it, since the council seem to be willing participants and incredibly defensive about the huge problem they've created.

I don't think that Sheffield C,C, are aware that trees are the lungs of the planet. Sheffield included. It's all very well they keep blaming motorists for pollution When I lived in Southern Ireland ,the government planted a tree for every householder in the country, and sent a document telling each house where their tree was planted, and a map to find it. So Sheffield C.C start digging instead of chopping.

Maybe if Amey had spent less time on removing our paving slabs and ruining our footpaths with glaring concrete and tarmac , they could have finished the roads. The paving slabs were perfect, and would outlive Amey's contract time. I suspect they were designated for another job, in another city ,or even another country .We ,Sheffield tax payers ,are being taken to the cleaners. AND they can't blame bad weather for their lack of progress on the roads. Driving around today on the pot hole infested roads, I was hard pressed to find re done ones.

or any being done .

---------- Post added 23-10-2017 at 19:45 ----------

I don't think that Sheffield C,C, are aware that trees are the lungs of the planet. Sheffield included. It's all very well they keep blaming motorists for pollution When I lived in Southern Ireland ,the government planted a tree for every householder in the country, and sent a document telling each house where their tree was planted, and a map to find it. So Sheffield C.C start digging instead of chopping.

That's because they are to blame for a considerable amount of pollution, to which the answer is reduce car usage wherever possible, not divert the argument to tree preservation.

Of course if the argument is already about tree preservation then the answer is to preserve trees wherever possible, not divert the argument to reducing car usage.

The debate on this thread is about road resurfacing. There are other threads about roadside trees, which form a a very small proportion of the total stock of trees in Sheffield, be they in woods, parks, fields or domestic gardens. The total volume of tree growth in Sheffield looks very healthy and is probably greater than it was 50 years ago.

However, I see little doubt that the tree issue has delayed the whole contract. Whether you're for, against or indifferent to the felling and replacement programme the knock on effects have prevented pavements from being relaid, and then the roads. But there have been other factors, not least poor quality of some of the work done that required too much to have to be done again. No doubt the lawyers will be going over all contracts to see who will have to pay who, and for what.

That's because they are to blame for a considerable amount of pollution, to which the answer is reduce car usage wherever possible, not divert the argument to tree preservation.

Obviously you don't drive !!!!

---------- Post added 25-10-2017 at 20:51 ----------

Of course if the argument is already about tree preservation then the answer is to preserve trees wherever possible, not divert the argument to reducing car usage.

Driving along Ecclesfield Road today through the wooded area, there was a gang of workers with chain saws removing trees, from the woodland, not just the odd one, ad hoc destruction,, for what. and why, and who is the tree hater on the council?? Sheffield used to be the greenest city in the U.K

Doesn't anyone care,?

---------- Post added 25-10-2017 at 20:56 ----------

Well ..you sound as though you have a "Finger " in this Pie.

Obviously you don't drive !!!!

---------- Post added 25-10-2017 at 20:51 ----------

Driving along Ecclesfield Road today through the wooded area, there was a gang of workers with chain saws removing trees, from the woodland, not just the odd one, ad hoc destruction,, for what. and why, and who is the tree hater on the council?? Sheffield used to be the greenest city in the U.K

Doesn't anyone care,?

---------- Post added 25-10-2017 at 20:56 ----------

Well ..you sound as though you have a "Finger " in this Pie.

I drive, but make an effort to use a bike, legs or public transport where possible.

You?

Don't suppose you have put BUSES into your equation of polluters . particularly all the empty ones that prowl the highways. If the "BUS LANES" were given back to motorists, the pollution levels would drop, as there would not be the queues of traffic on hold in the one lane that we have been allowed to drive,,or not,

---------- Post added 31-10-2017 at 09:32 ----------

I drive, but make an effort to use a bike, legs or public transport where possible.

You?

ME,,, I drive,, it's the only pleasure left to me that I truly enjoy. I leave public transport seats for the people who do not have a car. Bike riding is too dangerous..and I only walk in the wood lands, or on beaches,,, which I need my car to get to either. O.K.

---------- Post added 31-10-2017 at 09:39 ----------

Seemingly woodland trees now come under the "Unsafe " umbrella .Poor old Sheffield ,being de -tree'd an no one gives a toss