Road resurfacing, Amey & Streets Ahead

So what was the (iirc) £500m for we were awarded from the EU?

Where and when did you read about this?

Dan

---------- Post added 20-07-2017 at 11:33 ----------

Most of roads I see look good, so I disagree that all the resurfacing has been substandard.

I think you'd expect different experiences though. This is because Amey are using different subcontractors, and because some roads just get more hammer than others, and because mistakes will have been made. So it could be that they have to resurface some that they have done before, because they've underestimated what was required. And sometimes damage is caused by vehicles, or by road subsidence, or because other agencies have had to dig up the road etc. Sometimes they'll just have to come back and do it properly because they did it badly.

And they won't be using the most expensive techniques and materials, that's for sure. Maybe on some roads, more expensive surfacing is required (but then maybe this a cost-benefit thing, maybe it's cheaper to resurface than to surface more expensively - I don't know.

The road resurfacing etc in Nether edge/brincliffe has been a shambles.. within 3 weeks of resurfacing on union road the road has been dug up twice by YW.

Also further along from the bus terminus the road has become prone to flooding due to substandard resurfacing. Part of union rd is still not resurfaced due to a Tree ..thats soon to be taken down apparently. .

The road resurfacing is welcome ..i doubt most of the roads haven't been resurfaced since the 80s at least

Edited by WestTinsley

I heard that two different sub contractors are used and that they work to different standards, can't quite remember the figures but it was something like one uses 3.5 cm depth of Tarmac and the other 5cm of Tarmac. It was a while ago so may not be correct figures but you get the gist. Would be interesting to know which contractor did which roads and how they are faring after say 5 years, think (again) was told the 3.5 cm depth would last about 5 years or so.

The road resurfacing etc in Nether edge/brincliffe has been a shambles.. within 3 weeks of resurfacing on union road the road has been dug up twice by YW.

Also further along from the bus terminus the road has become prone to flooding due to substandard resurfacing. Part of union rd is still not resurfaced due to a Tree ..thats soon to be taken down apparently. .

The road resurfacing is welcome ..i doubt most of the roads haven't been resurfaced since the 80s at least

Yorkshire Water digging up the road is not the fault of Amey, emergencies happen and they need to get to the pipes.

In addition, road flooding is mostly due to the storm water drains being silted up. Yorkshire Water is in the process of cleaning them out, but to clean them all takes time. Observant members of the general public can always report silted up drains to Yorkshire Water to help speed up the process.

---------- Post added 20-07-2017 at 16:01 ----------

I heard that two different sub contractors are used and that they work to different standards, can't quite remember the figures but it was something like one uses 3.5 cm depth of Tarmac and the other 5cm of Tarmac. It was a while ago so may not be correct figures but you get the gist. Would be interesting to know which contractor did which roads and how they are faring after say 5 years, think (again) was told the 3.5 cm depth would last about 5 years or so.

That sounds like nonsense. A contractor does not work to their standards, they work to the clients, Amey.

Upwell street's being dug up again, it's becoming nearly as bad as it was before!

Chaucer Road has been sliced across to supply the new pub being built on the end, not sure whether it's already been re-surfaced but it was pretty good until now.

Quite possibly one contractor resurfaces main roads (5cm) & another resurfaces the minor estate roads (3.5cm).