Woodburn Road School

hi crumpster - have you got a sister called Kathleen - she used to be in my class at woodbourn road

Hi dimondjack yes i have a sister called Kathleen and Adele my brothers are stuart gary and steven my brother steven died a few weeks ago he was the youngest.

• 2 months later...
I did't go to Woodburn but my husband & son did. Mick was there bout 1949-59 and David 1971-76 when we moved to westfield. Our name is Richardson does anybody remember Mrs Beecroft the dinner lady, she lived in our yard on cottingham st, David was knocked down on woodburn rd in 73 coming home from rec.took him a while but made a full recovery.

I remember David getting run over he had a massive scar and tonnes of stiches and his hair shaved off if my memory serves? my name is John Parker I lived on Cottingham st I have 2 sisters joanne and Andrea Do you remember the Murrys who lived in the big yard just down from you

Edited by jakeanthill

Hi every one. I also went to Woodbourn Road School, but left in 1957 so am a bit older than most of you. We lived on Woobourn Road No 93 next to the Chapel. It was a great school, and I have many happy memories. Any one out there my age?

Hi Hobby was Woodbourn Road a Primary School , my cousins lived in Woodbourn Road no 16 I think. Names were Hague Kathleen Susan and Eric, Kathleen would have been there in the 55s. My Grandma lived next door ar no 18

• 3 weeks later...

I lived at 11 Fearnehough Street. I am Jakie Palmer and went to Woodbourn Road school with my other sisters, Janet, Patrina and Rosemary. I remember the Brookes, Ann Whiteley,Peter Dixon, Trevor Edwards, Marilyn Otter and many others.

Never had any money but have lots of memories.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Woodbourn Road from 1950 till 1960 I suppose, infants and juniors.I remember Mrs Hill, head mistress and Mrs Gleadhall. Mr Gleadhall was there too, plump little guy. i remember the pre fab classrooms and a girl called Diana Wells with ringlets. Janet Haskins, Sylvia Fletcher and Rene Denial were in my class too although poor Rene was killed in an accident in the 70's in Australia, I think. Stuart Gregory and Colin Hales and Jimmy Harley I remember and Robert Smith. The Bishops, who lived on Cottingham Street I knew well and used to call Mrs Bishop Aunty Dot and loved being in her house even tho there was not much room you were always welcome and fed along with all her kids!

This forum is GREAT for a walk down memory lane. I live in Spain now, but ofter 'pop' in to catch up.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello from Canada....

My paternal grandmother lived at 79 Ripon Street, Attercliffe, Sheffield. She left England with her mother for Canada in 1909. I was just wondering if anyone has any images of this street old (or from the past). I have one with my great grandmother and my grandmother (when she was a child) but it is just up against the doorway, right on the street (doorway of the house). The image would have been from about 1908 or just before or after. My grandmother came all the way to Canada and then further west. She lived on a small island off Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. She lived there all the rest of her days and she died in 1985 with 13 children and their spouses, plus some 60 (plus) grandchildren, one of them being me. Hutchinson was our family name in Sheffield. As noted I am looking for any information or images of 79 Ripon Street and area. I once saw an old post card my grandmother had, but it is long gone and I only saw it when I was a small child. I am sure my memory has it right, at the end of the street was a monument, and granny said that was the end of street. The post card would have been from the early 1900`s. Many Kind Regards; R. Sampson, British Columbia, Canada.

PS, what school and church would have been in the day, for my ancestors to attend, back around 1900 to 1909. Cheers!

Edited by CanadianGuy

Thank you very much MaryP. I said that I recall a pillar or a Statue or pillar or some object at the end of the street...it may have been a church??? It sowed up in my Grandmother's post card she kept from the early 1900's. It's just that it has been some 40 years since i last saw that post card, of a narrow street and doors right on the sidewalk and street. It is a brick house (apartment?) and window in the back ground of the photograph. Cheers from Rocky (I can send my email addy if you like)