BBC stars wages made public

A lot of money for so little talent.

If the gender pay gap gets to be put right and please bring the men's down to the women's as there's no way Winkleman and Jones are not worth what they get paid now.

I'm surprised Winkleman is employed at all. !

I was reading the reactions of people in the media sector to the publication of the salaries of the people who earn more than £150,000 p.a. Apparently, one of the consequences is that such publication could be inflationary, where competitors could lure such individuals away with the promise of higher salaries! I'm not sure how true this is, since many choose to work at the BBC because it is a prestigious broadcaster.

In principle I think transparency is a good thing - but I do think that this decision was foisted upon the BBC by a Government at the behest of the BBCs competitors who loathe the BBC (the Daily Mail, Express etc.)

I think that the publication should start a wider debate about executive pay in the public sector. There are many Chief Executives, finance directors, HR directors who work in the public sector (in the NHS, Local Government, Education) who also earn considerably more than the PM. However they head up organisations where front line staff have been cut, and consequently services to the public have been cut due to squeezes in public expenditure in the last 8 or 9 years.

Of course there are differences between the market for presenters and actors in the media, and public service managers. However when people have seen so many cuts to their services and living standards, should all these executives in the public sector be allowed to be paid huge sums of money? Public service should be about that.

Edited by Mister M