"Paedophile hunters" in sheffield

I would discourage this type of vigilantism at every turn. There's so much that could go wrong, from being mistaken and defaming an innocent person to the risk of violence at being confronted. Civil courts would have all of the proof that they needed if there was a query about defamation; all they would need to do is to view the entrapment video clips. On top of that there's the risk that the method could be seen as sufficiently entrapment based that the video clips are of no evidential value which could compromise any criminal prosecution, producing none of the intended good consequences either.

I understand why people feel that they are a valid response, but I see so many holes and problems that I would urge anybody considering this sort of thing of taking their concerns to the police and letting them investigate instead.

Where is the consideration in this type of vigilantism for the innocent victims such as wives and children ? A man loses his livelihood and wives and children

maybe consigned to poverty. Why not trap them in a sting and hand over to police ? Why show on social media ?

Where is the consideration in this type of vigilantism for the innocent victims such as wives and children ? A man loses his livelihood and wives and children maybe consigned to poverty. Why not trap them in a sting and hand over to police ? Why show on social media ?

While I tend to agree, the people responsible for causing the suffering to their families are the individuals grooming kids.

That said, I think there is something altogether sick about both vigilantes and the people they aim to catch: why are they preoccupied with peadophiles? Why aren't they vigilantes fighting crime more generally?

From the ones I've seen it just seems to be an excuse for small men who like the sound of their own voice to act the hard man.

That bloke was attacked as a direct result of the "catcher" announcing to all and sundry the guy was a paedo what happens if he's wrong? if others start naming whoever they like as

a paedo?

Exactly my problem with it. When someone is labelled a paedo it sticks with them for life even if innocent. There name will be all over social media and it can destroy lives/relationships.

Why just a paedo? A couple in Derby have had four kids taken into care for physical abuse one as young as 14 months old - all due to drug use. Oh I know why it's easy to trap people with an online presence,not so easy when they're you're neighbour doing the same things as "the vigilantes.

From the ones I've seen it just seems to be an excuse for small men who like the sound of their own voice to act the hard man.

That bloke was attacked as a direct result of the "catcher" announcing to all and sundry the guy was a paedo what happens if he's wrong? if others start naming whoever they like as

a paedo?

Absolutely this.

They call themselves vigilantes but actually although they trap them with the online chat etc they hand them over to the police to deal with along with the evidence. They don't actually take the law into their own hands.

I think it's a good thing and glad that people like this are out their trying to protect children.

thats my thoughts, they just find them and stand with them until the police arrive. i know if it was my daughter being targeted i'd be happy there was these guys being there to stop it. the police are stretched as it is so i'm all for them getting abit of help. i'd be against any violence though

a paedo?

Why would he arrange a meet with someone who's innocent? Surely, if he's posing as a child who agrees to meet a specifically dressed person in a specific place at a specific time then its him? I suppose coincidence is possible but rather unlikely in my opinion.

Keep seeing these types of videos popping up on social media, it wasn't long ago there was one at Meadowhall tram stop.

Yesterday another has popped up in town centre;

< link removed >

Just interested to see people's opinions about these vigilantes and "citizens arrest"... plus a bloke I'm sure a few of us are familiar with if you go to town wading in and assaulting him...

If the plod did their job, these geezers wouldnt have to do it for them. I have no problem at all with what they are doing.