Government to end petrol/diesel engines by 2040

the technology is there they are on the road already

The technology is on its way to being there but it just is not practical right now on such a huge scale. When you can charge a car in 5 minutes max then the technology is there.

I don't however think it excludes Hybrid cars, personally I would prefer a none plug in hybrid by the time 2040 comes unless there are incredible advances in the coming years

Guest makapaka

It's 23 years away so there's plenty of time.

Think where technology was in 1994 and where it is now.

It would seem that the plan is not to ban petrol and diesel vehicles as such, but all non-zero emissions vehicles, so hydrogen power is a possible alternative.

http://www.proactiveinvestors.co.uk/companies/news/181515/itm-power-welcomes-reports-that-the-uk-government-is-proposing-a-ban-on-sale-of-petrol-and-diesel-cars-by-2040-181515.html

Sheffield company ITM Power is already an innovator in this field.

]Yep they say charging time is down to 30 minutes [/b]or so now.

How many times have you been to the petrol station and the queue has been 3 or 4 deep??

Yea great, I'll just park up for the next 2 hours till it's my turn to charge???

They tell you lies, pure lies. My PHEV takes 2 or 3 hours to charge at home with the charger on the outside wall. It takes 5 or 6 hours to charge off the 13 amp house supply. On the motorways or car parks with chargers that "fast charge" these only take 20/30 mins, but only charge to 80%. The reason been I think is to save damaging the battery pack with forcing high amounts of electricity into it in a short time. It is advisable NOT to use this kind of charger every time you charge, well that's for my car anyway.

Angel1

Just ban diesels, that's where the nastier emissions come from, then continue to develop low carbon dioxide petrol engines. That technology is well under way already with smaller three cylinder turbo charged units. Then in 2040 there will still be three options. Electric, hybrid and low emission petrol's. That is where I would have gone with it.

What a complete joke of an idea. It cannot happen, the technology is not there to carry the idea out.

My PHEV costs more to run than a conventional diesel engine.

Angel1.

It's 23 years away and no act of a parliament can bind a future parliament anyway.

And if we follow the French model then hybrids will be allowed anyway.

Edited by Cyclone

The big issue is that batteries are not good enough. Lithium Ion is as good as it can get - humanity needs to invent something better first. Long charges every 200 miles are just nowhere near competitive with petrol.

The electricity generation should be fine by 2040 though, as we are currently on target for 100% renewables by 2050. Solar and wind will be all-dominant by then

The big issue is that batteries are not good enough. Lithium Ion is as good as it can get - humanity needs to invent something better first. Long charges every 200 miles are just nowhere near competitive with petrol.

The electricity generation should be fine by 2040 though, as we are currently on target for 100% renewables by 2050. Solar and wind will be all-dominant by then

Charging time is pretty much irrelevant. You just need a fast way to change the batteries and a forecourt big enough to store/charge loads ready to go.

at the moment i can't see that happening, we can't rely solely on battery power however i did watch on top gear a couple of years back james may testing cars powered by water(not sure if thats the hydrogen powered technology people talk about). if the pumps can be brought in quick enough then that might be an option but places to fill up were very limited and this was in america not over here