Government to end petrol/diesel engines by 2040

Charging time is pretty much irrelevant. You just need a fast way to change the batteries and a forecourt big enough to store/charge loads ready to go.

Who's changing the batteries?

The general public can't be trusted with something like that, they're just a bunch of apes.

at the moment i can't see that happening, we can't rely solely on battery power however i did watch on top gear a couple of years back james may testing cars powered by water(not sure if thats the hydrogen powered technology people talk about). if the pumps can be brought in quick enough then that might be an option but places to fill up were very limited and this was in america not over here

Yeah that is hydrogen. Honda in particular have been looking at this for a while. Zero emissions and 5 minute refuel time, with 370 miles drive.

I think the problem has generally been the energy needed to make the hydrogen in the first place (the easiest way is through natural gas; through renewables is possible but not viable yet). It's still 55% less polluting than petrol

Yeah that is hydrogen. Honda in particular have been looking at this for a while. Zero emissions and 5 minute refuel time, with 370 miles drive.

I think the problem has generally been the energy needed to make the hydrogen in the first place (the easiest way is through natural gas; through renewables is possible but not viable yet). It's still 55% less polluting than petrol

if i remember it right there didn't seem to be any pollution from the car as the only thing it created was water, unless your meaning creating the fuel. anyway it was the same price as petrol with as many miles so seemed like a very viable alternative but wether it can be in place in 23 years is another thing anyway

if i remember it right there didn't seem to be any pollution from the car as the only thing it created was water, unless your meaning creating the fuel. anyway it was the same price as petrol with as many miles so seemed like a very viable alternative but wether it can be in place in 23 years is another thing anyway

Yes - only water comes out of the exhaust, but it's creating the hydrogen in the first place that requires a lot of energy. You need electrolysis to separate the hydrogen from oxygen.

Yes - only water comes out of the exhaust, but it's creating the hydrogen in the first place that requires a lot of energy. You need electrolysis to separate the hydrogen from oxygen.

Spare power from wind turbines running at night could be used instead of turning them off.

It would be a good first step to amend the exhaust emissions threshold in the MOT test. Older vehicles which are the most polluting would probably end up being scrapped in view of the cost of conversion or upgrading with filters. This would have an immediate effect and avoid the introduction of any scrappage scheme, or congestion charges which costs millions for the "experts" and politicians to make a decision for any proposal which is always way beyond the governments term of office.

Spare power from wind turbines running at night could be used instead of turning them off.

Renewable UK says that, on average, wind turbines are generating electricity 70-80% of the time.

There was an article in the Telegraph in 2014, about turbine owners being paid £43 million a year(which is chicken feed when you consider how much is earned in total) to switch them off because they had too much power.

There are over 6,000 wind turbines in the UK, if we got more electric vehicles, they never be switched off due to the electricity not being needed.