Sheffield Blitz sites 2017

22 hours ago, Jomie said:

Tomorrow it will be eighty years since the start of the Sheffield Blitz (12th and 15th December 1940). It must have been horrendous and perhaps puts our current day privations into perspective. I don’t know if there will be any special commemoration but perhaps Sheffielders could take a few minutes thinking and remembering the sacrifices that were made by our forebears for our freedoms.  

Here's an 80th anniversary piece from the BBC. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-55275155

The additional links at the bottom of the piece are also worth a look. 

Edited by Baron99

• 2 weeks later...

Last year I took my mother to see the site of the house she was bombed out of in 1940 - number 23 Jericho Street.  The site is still undeveloped and is behind hoardings on what is now called Well Meadow Drive.  The cobbled street is stilll there.  It's difficult to believe that such a site so close to the centre of a major city can be undeveloped for eighty years - I presume the only likely building will be student accommodation at some point.  Mum was 9 when it burnt down.  My grandad was upset mainly about the fact that he'd just filled the cellar up with coal and so paid to help the Luftwaffe burn his house down.  He returned when it had all cooled down and used a stick to knock two brass candlesticks off the mantlepiece, they are still in the family, and that was about all the property that was saved apart from a christmas present watch that was being held at the pawnbrokers.