Nurse Shortages

theire pay is very good when qualified

People with degrees earned an average of £12,000 a year more than non-graduates over the past decade, statistics show. The mid-point salary of graduates aged 22 to 64 was £29,900, compared with £17,800 for non-degree holders, the Office for National Statistics found.6 Apr 2011

A Registered Nurse (RN) earns an average salary of £23,319 per year.

So a nurse earns £6,581 less than other graduates.

We have a shortage of nurses and when all the EU nurses leave due to brexit the situation will get worse so I think the Govt needs to step in and fund the training in return for a minimum working term in the NHS.

I don't think nurses are badly paid for what they do. When my late mum was in hospital six years ago it was the nurses assistants who did the hard work and most of them had more common sense than these nurses who had done a degree in nursing, and I suspect they get paid a lot less than a nurse who has a degree in nursing.

Do nurses really need to go to university before they become a nurse? Yes they need training but I think it should be done in the hospital.

I don't think nurses are badly paid for what they do. When my late mum was in hospital six years ago it was the nurses assistants who did the hard work and most of them had more common sense than these nurses who had done a degree in nursing, and I suspect they get paid a lot less than a nurse who has a degree in nursing.

Do nurses really need to go to university before they become a nurse? Yes they need training but I think it should be done in the hospital.

Haven't they already unveiled plans to do just that. An apprenticeship scheme was due to start this year unless they've shelved it.

We have a shortage of nurses and when all the EU nurses leave due to brexit the situation will get worse so I think the Govt needs to step in and fund the training in return for a minimum working term in the NHS.

Agree. That's a sensible compromise

---------- Post added 02-08-2017 at 07:58 ----------

It's always been the way that there are lesser qualified or even unqualified nurses doing quite a lot of the physical work. They used to be called auxiliary nurses. My wife works with nurses at the hospital and from what she says they are very different roles to what the fully qualified nurses do. The pay differential reflects that.

Edited by I1L2T3

I remember when my wife was doing her training. If you could see the amount they have to learn both written and practical going to university wouldn't be questioned.

I am on the fence.

Lots of people in lots of professions have to pay for their own courses and qualificiaton.

Whilst I will never argue that nursing is not an important and under appreciated job. It is still a job. A career choice just like anyone else's career choice.

Why SHOULD they get it for free when dozens of other just as valid professions have to pay their way. Another question is where does it end. If you give nurses free courses and free education what about other supposed "essential" and "underpaid" professions.

Social workers? Support workers? Police Officers? Justices? Therapists? Community Leaders? Health and Safety Officers? Tradings Standards Officers? Civil Servants? Engineers? Prosecutors? Mediators? Legal aid lawyers?

All could be argued to be essential in some circles but nobody would seriously suggest they all get their CPD training and career development paid for by the state.

The ones who the state requires, yes, any vocational training should be free.

Particularly if you've already got a huge shortage and need to hire more in the next few years somehow. :roll:

---------- Post added 02-08-2017 at 14:00 ----------

No, it really isn't. It's just about managing the national average.

---------- Post added 02-08-2017 at 14:02 ----------

You speak from a position of having extensively researched what the degree covers and obviously you're aware of how many weeks placement on wards are actually done as part of the training.

Right?

---------- Post added 02-08-2017 at 14:04 ----------

Minimum term contracts? Sounds like a modern term for slavery. Illegal I suspect.

It's entirely normal in many industries to have clauses to pay back part of the costs of training if you leave before serving a minimum term.

No it is not! My son often comes home too tired to eat often working a full 12 hr shift with just a 30 minute break . Their pay no where near represents the job they do . They have tremendous responsibility on their shoulders and more and more being added each year . Nurses pay has actually gone down by about £3000 in the last few years due to capping .