Nurse Shortages

To me its an apprenticeship and should be funded so,they then should be tied to the nhs for a minimum period.

I think this is sensible and might well be where things are heading. (Just to inform you, the bursary already required them to work for the NHS for a minimum period...)

I don't think the student loan system is a bad thing for nurses, the bursary definitely was NOT a sufficient income whilst studying. The average nurse will never pay off their entire study loan anyway, so is effectively still subsidised by the state.

Re the figures of nurses being on 21K to 49K - the top sector of nursing pay is only for a very select few. Most will average around 24-26K during their career.

I am on the fence.

Lots of people in lots of professions have to pay for their own courses and qualificiaton.

Whilst I will never argue that nursing is not an important and under appreciated job. It is still a job. A career choice just like anyone else's career choice.

Why SHOULD they get it for free when dozens of other just as valid professions have to pay their way. Another question is where does it end. If you give nurses free courses and free education what about other supposed "essential" and "underpaid" professions.

Social workers? Support workers? Police Officers? Justices? Therapists? Community Leaders? Health and Safety Officers? Tradings Standards Officers? Civil Servants? Engineers? Prosecutors? Mediators? Legal aid lawyers?

All could be argued to be essential in some circles but nobody would seriously suggest they all get their CPD training and career development paid for by the state.

You should have flipped it the other way in saying that all higher education should be free.

I am on the fence.

Lots of people in lots of professions have to pay for their own courses and qualificiaton.

Whilst I will never argue that nursing is not an important and under appreciated job. It is still a job. A career choice just like anyone else's career choice.

Why SHOULD they get it for free when dozens of other just as valid professions have to pay their way. Another question is where does it end. If you give nurses free courses and free education what about other supposed "essential" and "underpaid" professions.

Social workers? Support workers? Police Officers? Justices? Therapists? Community Leaders? Health and Safety Officers? Tradings Standards Officers? Civil Servants? Engineers? Prosecutors? Mediators? Legal aid lawyers?

All could be argued to be essential in some circles but nobody would seriously suggest they all get their CPD training and career development paid for by the state.

Well have to see how it pans out but if numbers entering training collapse then the policy will inevitably be reversed.

Question though: would you ask soldiers,police and firemen to pay for their own training?

---------- Post added 01-08-2017 at 20:47 ----------

theire pay is very good when qualified

Not really. Not for what they do.

Guest makapaka
Well have to see how it pans out but if numbers entering training collapse then the policy will inevitably be reversed.

Question though: would you ask soldiers,police and firemen to pay for their own training?

---------- Post added 01-08-2017 at 20:47 ----------

Not really. Not for what they do.

There are certain professions that aren't going to attract people to them if there isn't free entry so it makes sense to provide incentives if demand requires it.

There are certain professions that aren't going to attract people to them if there isn't free entry so it makes sense to provide incentives if demand requires it.

Indeed. Nursing could well be one of those professions. Removing the bursary is a gamble.

Indeed. Nursing could well be one of those professions. Removing the bursary is a gamble.

It is a bit. But, the training is certainly up to standard - there can't be many countries where being a UK qualified nurse isn't a very useful way to emigrate, or it certainly was.

How do we compare in terms of salary/training costs etc to the rest of the world? Do our nurses do more?