Gary Glitter ..

But the question is (or should be) one of musical taste- not one of banning all works by someone who has committed criminal activity, nor one of shunning anyone who happens to like such works. The 'ban it all' movement would also burn books by out-of-favour authors, I think.

But the question is (or should be) one of musical taste- not one of banning all works by someone who has committed criminal activity, nor one of shunning anyone who happens to like such works. The 'ban it all' movement would also burn books by out-of-favour authors, I think.

Nobody wants to ban anything. I can buy both glitter and lostprophets on iTunes should I so want. I don't hear lostprophets on radio 2 - but I never have. There might be the odd time when it's an obvious omission on pick of the pops or whatever but if you really want your day to be complete and listen to Gary glitter, go to iTunes and buy it. The majority of people don't want to hear it, so a commercial decision has been made. That's it.

Hitler did some artistic paintings but will never be shown. Especially to Jewish groups.

Nobody wants to ban anything. I can buy both glitter and lostprophets on iTunes should I so want. I don't hear lostprophets on radio 2 - but I never have. There might be the odd time when it's an obvious omission on pick of the pops or whatever but if you really want your day to be complete and listen to Gary glitter, go to iTunes and buy it. The majority of people don't want to hear it, so a commercial decision has been made. That's it.

any chance of an answer to post 109 ? is there such a thing as Paedo music ? that's 2 separate questions

Edited by hackey lad

any chance of an answer to post 109 ? is there such a thing as Paedo music ? that's 2 separate questions

As I said (I'm clearly not making my point very well so apologies) it was just for experimental purposes. If you played one Gary glitter track it might raise a few eyebrows, an album might bring a few comments or embrassessd bit of banter, but if Jeffery mixed in other music by convicted paedos at his imaginary bbq (I'm not saying he never has them, he probably does and I'm sure they're lovely) a few guests might ask what the bobbins is going on.

I think the point I was making (and to be honest the specific point is hazy now) is that the BBC are banning it but only to a point. Glitter and his ilk aren't having their music banned from sale, they're just not pushing it on people unawares. People, abuse victims probably, would be offended, others just might feel a bit grubby about it. That's not what radio stations are wanting to achieve!

Again:the question is not whether or not one can buy offenders' works.

It's instead whether there should be the present effective ban.

---------- Post added 04-09-2017 at 18:07 ----------

Nobody wants to ban anything...The majority of people don't want to hear it, so a commercial decision has been made. That's it.

Yes, you keep telling us about the majority; but you've yet to adduce any evidence. How do you know what the majority want to hear? If they've never heard GG's output, how would they know whether or not they like it?

Again:the question is not whether or not one can buy offenders' works.

It's instead whether there should be the present effective ban.

---------- Post added 04-09-2017 at 18:07 ----------

Yes, you keep telling us about the majority; but you've yet to adduce any evidence. How do you know what the majority want to hear? If they've never heard GG's output, how would they know whether or not they like it?

Can you point to the fact that the majority want to hear Gary Glitter? Im not sure how I can prove a negative - how can I prove that the majority dont like much associated with paedos? Its sort of a given isnt it? Can you prove otherwise? Perhaps the BBC has done surveys, focus groups - that sort of thing.

I listened to, and sometimes enjoy still, the music of NWA and Public Enemy. Both have albums way over 20 years old (pushing 30 years old some of them) so would be legit candidates for Stve Wrights non-stop oldies. They wont be played on a weekday afternoon on radio 2 - you know it and I know it. Can I call it a ban?

Can you point to the fact that the majority want to hear Gary Glitter? Im not sure how I can prove a negative - how can I prove that the majority dont like much associated with paedos? Its sort of a given isnt it? Can you prove otherwise? Perhaps the BBC has done surveys, focus groups - that sort of thing.

I listened to, and sometimes enjoy still, the music of NWA** and Public Enemy. Both have albums way over 20 years old (pushing 30 years old some of them) so would be legit candidates for Stve Wrights non-stop oldies. They wont be played on a weekday afternoon on radio 2 - you know it and I know it. Can I call it a ban?

** Try saying in public what NWA's acronym means and, yes, you might be banned (with or without attitude).