Price of Sheffield Star!!

With news online and on tv/radio these days I very rarely read a printed newspaper (and when I do it's 'I'). Can't remember the last time I bought the Star. Magazines are a different kettle of fish. Love Vogue for quality articles and some first rate photography - detest the trashmags devoted to so called 'celebrities', which never seem to contain anything I find interesting, so take my own reading material to the hairdressers!

I have noticed that Sheffield Forum these days seems to be on the same decline as the Sheffield Star. At one time it was awash with information and news and now it seems a little quieter. I wonder if its the increase in popularity of Facebook and Sheffield Online that's doing it.

When I was going into Leeds station last week, they were giving the Leeds Evening Post out for free

Given The Star circulation is now around 20,000 per evening it means that it is taking in, after monies paid to newsagents, around £3m per year in cover charges. It wouldn't take that much of an increase in advertising and increasing the distribution to make it a freebie - as per the London Evening Standard. I think that is the line I would go down if I was Johnstone Press rather than killing off slowly by increasing the cover price.

Not sure what it would do to local newsagents but they cannot be making that much out of when the total distribution across the whole of South Yorkshire is only generating £14,000 per evening.

Newspapers are a "generation" thing, when I was a kid I couldn't wait for The Star to be delivered on a Monday evening so that I could learn what was showing at the local cinemas. In later years I worked there (1966-89) in the days when we produced eight editions a day. The Star today bears no resemblance to the paper of yesteryear, one edition a day and on the Street early when it has to try and compete with all the Daily Papers, why did the management make that decision, it certainly doesn't make sense to me.

I have noticed that Sheffield Forum these days seems to be on the same decline as the Sheffield Star. At one time it was awash with information and news and now it seems a little quieter. I wonder if its the increase in popularity of Facebook and Sheffield Online that's doing it.

Sheffield Online is a cesspit of racism, makes this place positively angelic.

People love to hate the Star on here. Think local printed news media is very much on its last legs. Too much competition from technology. Presumably they can produce it with fewer employees, but 70p os quite spenny imo. I wonder who buys it and why?

I buy as I don't expect a local paper to the the Guardian or compete with online content, the local football coverage is good, I enjoy the food reviews, the local business section is informative and some of the features are readable, like any news media it has its faults but it would be sad to see it go.

People love to hate the Star on here. Think local printed news media is very much on its last legs. Too much competition from technology. Presumably they can produce it with fewer employees, but 70p os quite spenny imo. I wonder who buys it and why?

The Star was never a good paper (well not since about 1975 when I first read it anyway).

The one thing I always noticed about it was that the journalism was poor (amateur at best, but usually benign of political overtones, which is good in my book)

However it was and is very very boring.

I doubt I'd read it nowadays, even if it were free.