Recommendations for new television!

GOLDEN OLDIE

At the weekend got one of these from Richer Sounds:

https://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/tx40es500b/pana-tx40es500b

Here is what I have discovered about it so far.

Straight foward to setup, wirelessly connected to my BT HH3 router.

The speakers are poor, so I used a soundbar.

I don't watch the TV much, listen to the radio usually radio-4 or radio-4 extra. There is a screen off

setting when listening to the radio, however it does not blank when radio-4 extra is selected.

Connects to BBC Iplayer.

Only watched a few YouTube video, using the remote control to enter and select YouTube content is hard work.

can't see the remote control buttons lasting too long if you are an internet content fan.

Can navigate to shared folders on my Win-7 machine, however it fails to show all video or mp3 files.

It has two USB ports. Drives formatted as Fat32 or NTFS appear to be recognised.

My bold. I just play Youtube videos from my phone, there is an option to send it to TV within the Youtube app. It's a lot easier.

You can also play Youtube videos on your TV from your laptop or PC.

Make sure you talk through the warranties and cover with Richer Sounds staff, I know of a couple of people who had the wool pulled over their eyes regarding their refundable warranties, they refund on the 6 year plan but told a couple of people I know that their 5 year warranties were refundable, turned out it was bull.

Just to add a couple of things.

1) Always try before you buy, especially important if it's your main TV.

2) Use the remote, It's the one part of the TV you'll be touching, make sure it feels right for you.

3) Always check the TV guide, make sure it's easy to understand and moves quickly. You'll be using it to navigate channels so it needs to be easy to use.

4) Consult other people who will be watching it.

I also have a few things i like to look for, personal preferences like....When you change channel using the up/down channel buttons can you see the channel number/program name as you pass each channel.

Does the remote have a previous watched channel button (not back a channel).

Can i record onto a USB stick quickly and easily (less important now with iplayer etc) handy when you're in the middle of a program and someone knocks on the door.

How easy is it to get subtitles up (I work early mornings and don't want to wake people)

And remember, that 55" TV doesn't look that big in the shop next to other TV's but when you get it home it won't fit.

Your going to spend a lot of time infront of a main TV so better to get it right.

Make sure you talk through the warranties and cover with Richer Sounds staff, I know of a couple of people who had the wool pulled over their eyes regarding their refundable warranties, they refund on the 6 year plan but told a couple of people I know that their 5 year warranties were refundable, turned out it was bull.

That's odd as the 6 year guarantee is usually included free if you are a VIP customer, which is easy to do as you can sign up online beforehand or in the store itself. Have a look at Mikes10 link as it states it clearly in large letters.

EDIT: Meant to add that because technology changes quick I would not buy a smart TV but a good TV and an Android TV box. That way you can play almost any video format, use a proper full browser for the internet (chrome/firefox) and also a wide selection of Android Apps. Smart TV's are normally restricted in playing back video content, have a restricted browser and limited in the Apps content because of copyright and such.

Edited by apelike

That's odd as the 6 year guarantee is usually included free if you are a VIP customer, which is easy to do as you can sign up online beforehand or in the store itself. Have a look at Mikes10 link as it states it clearly in large letters.

Not sure how long the 6 year one has been available, this happened a few years ago so no doubt things have changed but they were told by the staff that it was refundable if not used and when it was time both of them were then told it was not refundable, there have been a few cases aired on forums in the past too. I see one of the lads every now and then, next time I bump into him I'll ask what the outcome was.

I bought from RS about a year ago and the 6 year warranty was included for free.

I went with Panasonic, I'm happy with it, previously I had Samsung that I was also happy with. My parents have an LG and it's poor in comparison.

IMO you get what you pay for, the latest thing is HDR, but the sources at the moment are very limited. That said, if the TV can do HDR then it's probably a good screen...

I bought from RS about a year ago and the 6 year warranty was included for free.

I went with Panasonic, I'm happy with it, previously I had Samsung that I was also happy with. My parents have an LG and it's poor in comparison.

IMO you get what you pay for, the latest thing is HDR, but the sources at the moment are very limited. That said, if the TV can do HDR then it's probably a good screen...

That 6 year cover is very good, they didnt have it when my mates bought their tv's, they had two different types of 5 year cover, one was just standard cover and the other I think was called something like 5 year supercare cover, the latter was not available on tv's and I think some staff may have mistakenly told customers that they would get their cover costs back, 10% of the total unit price, must have just been confusion over policies.

That 6 year cover is very good, they didnt have it when my mates bought their tv's, they had two different types of 5 year cover, one was just standard cover and the other I think was called something like 5 year supercare cover, the latter was not available on tv's and I think some staff may have mistakenly told customers that they would get their cover costs back, 10% of the total unit price, must have just been confusion over policies.

They provide the 6 years cover because basically they have to, all electrical items should be good for a minimum of 6 years, so if something dies from general use in less than 6 years, you can legally contact the manufacturer and get a repair or replacement....

Richer Sounds know this, and is why they offer the 6 years, it makes them look good (compared to other companies that only offer 1 year or so)

Other companies state 1 year etc, as that is the standard warranty, in case of DOA, or incorrect purchase returns etc....

But under the Consumer Rights Act products should be good for 6 years...

have a read...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2875453/The-six-year-warranty-right-shops-don-t-tell-customers-Law-says-retailers-responsible-dealing-complaints-official-guarantee-expires.html