Recommendations for new television!

GOLDEN OLDIE

Its up to 6 years and it doesn't mean all products, electrical or not, should last 6 years.

The 6 years comes in because of the Limitations Act https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitation_Act_1980 By law you can only claim for up to 6 years later.

Also the burden of proof is on the consumer after the first 6 months, this means they have to prove the fault was there at the time of purchase. If the consumer cannot they the retailer doesn't have to do anything.

The Dail Mail have incorrectly described it as a 6 year warranty. Products do not have to be good for 6 years.

Its up to 6 years and it doesn't mean all products, electrical or not, should last 6 years.

The 6 years comes in because of the Limitations Act https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limitation_Act_1980 By law you can only claim for up to 6 years later.

Also the burden of proof is on the consumer after the first 6 months, this means they have to prove the fault was there at the time of purchase. If the consumer cannot they the retailer doesn't have to do anything.

The Dail Mail have incorrectly described it as a 6 year warranty. Products do not have to be good for 6 years.

I disagree, I have had items that have just stopped working after about 4 years, I contact the manufacturer, talk to them, mention the 6 years thing, and they immediately say to send the item back for assessment, 9 times out of 10 they replace, and usually with a newer item (as the original is no longer available)

I guess it helps that I look after my items, so don't drop them etc, if it's something I have done, then I won't expect them to repair or replace...

I have also worked for companies, that offer standard 1 year warranty on items, but as soon as a customer mentions the 6 year thing, everything is done to resolve the issue.....

I disagree, I have had items that have just stopped working after about 4 years, I contact the manufacturer, talk to them, mention the 6 years thing, and they immediately say to send the item back for assessment, 9 times out of 10 they replace, and usually with a newer item (as the original is no longer available)

I guess it helps that I look after my items, so don't drop them etc, if it's something I have done, then I won't expect them to repair or replace...

I have also worked for companies, that offer standard 1 year warranty on items, but as soon as a customer mentions the 6 year thing, everything is done to resolve the issue.....

You can disagree with the law all you like it doesn't mean it isn't the law. Please see what I said about the Limitations Act, also re-read the Consumer Rights Act - burden of proof is on the customer after the first 6 months of purchase. The act does not say goods have to last 6 years.

The law is the law Ghozer.

Maybe it wasn't you but not long ago I'm sure you were telling people on here that shops could pass the buck to the manufacturer. No offense but I don't think your knowledge of consumer rights is that good, techie stuff yes but rights not so much.

Your rights are with the shop you bought it from not the manufacturer. The manufacturer might CHOOSE to offer a remedy but legally they don't have to.

You can disagree with the law all you like it doesn't mean it isn't the law. Please see what I said about the Limitations Act, also re-read the Consumer Rights Act - burden of proof is on the customer after the first 6 months of purchase. The act does not say goods have to last 6 years.

The law is the law Ghozer.

Maybe it wasn't you but not long ago I'm sure you were telling people on here that shops could pass the buck to the manufacturer. No offense but I don't think your knowledge of consumer rights is that good, techie stuff yes but rights not so much.

Your rights are with the shop you bought it from not the manufacturer. The manufacturer might CHOOSE to offer a remedy but legally they don't have to.

I know the burden is with the customer, but like I said, maybe it's something to do with looking after items, if the item is in obviously good condition upon inspection, and the manufacturer opens it and sees no damage, traces the fault to something that can't have been caused by a drop or water or something (of which there would be other signs) - then it's going to be a fault in the item, there's nothing else it can be...

mentioning the 6 years to them, only makes them accept the item back for inspection, it doesn't make them exchange or repair, I know....

I have worked for large electrical retailers, and was trained up on consumer law, and procedures when customers quote the 'fit for 6 years' stuff, etc... of which most large companies have a procedure in place now..

I'm not saying you're wrong, maybe I just explained it badly, and was really only drawing on my own experiences...