68,000 homeless in Britain, and it's going to get worse

...to 15 people? Surely Sheffield has 15 empty homes if those people wanted them

Congratulations, you get this weeks prize for clicking on the link and actually reading it ;)

I am sure the Government figures are an underestimate, what the number is I don't know.

But going back to the OP, we have a problem with poverty that is getting worse, yet we are the 9th richest country in the world.

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-worlds-5th-or-9th-largest-economy/

Congratulations, you get this weeks prize for clicking on the link and actually reading it ;)

I am sure the Government figures are an underestimate, what the number is I don't know.

But going back to the OP, we have a problem with poverty that is getting worse, yet we are the 9th richest country in the world.

https://fullfact.org/economy/uk-worlds-5th-or-9th-largest-economy/

Yes we do. Foodbanks, homelessness, in work poverty etc. But until it is acknowledged by people (and you can see the problem with that on here,) and by the government, nothing will be done. In fact the problem has been caused by bad government legislation.

---------- Post added 11-08-2017 at 20:31 ----------

As I said, it isn't that simple I was merely making the point that it isn't for the want of housing stock that people are homeless.

If it is perceived as a problem - which in my view it is - then it is up to the authorities to come up with a solution.

Many empty houses belong to councils so should be available to address hardship.

As for Kensington, a cousin of mine married into an extremely wealthy 'old money' family and they have a property in Kensington but as it's apparently worth over £2 million I doubt they would be happy to allow people they don't know to live there.

Having said which they are extremely nice people who do a lot for charity so who knows? I'll ask them when I see them next.

Part of the problem has been the so called bedroom tax, which leaves people short of the rent, (2 bedroom council houses are now standing empty I believe,) and a lack of one bedroom places to rent at an affordable price.

Add to that sanctions, and you have a recipe for disaster, deliberately caused by government diktat.

Edited by Anna B

According to tonight's news there are now 68,000 homeless in Britain, a huge increase on previous figures.

In a country that is supposed to be the fifth richest in the world, I find that a disgraceful statistic. Also according to the news if the current government doesn't change its policies quickly, it's going to get a whole lot worse, predicting quarter of a million within 5 years..

In the same broadcast, news that in spite of increasing profits, Amazon is now paying less tax than ever, and it wasn't paying much in the first place.

...What is wrong with this country...?

This number will keep rising as we continue to allow millions of unskilled workers to immigrate to the UK.

With over 70m people in this country we are over flowing.

Edited by SkylinePhoto

Part of the problem has been the so called bedroom tax, which leaves people short of the rent, (2 bedroom council houses are now standing empty I believe,) and a lack of one bedroom places to rent at an affordable price.

Add to that sanctions, and you have a recipe for disaster, deliberately caused by government diktat.

Sanctions are going to get much worse.

Prior to Universal Credit a jobcentre sanction would mean loss of JSA only (which is very bad in itself) but the victim would still be eligible for housing benefit and, if in receipt of working tax credits, that would also be unaffected.

With Universal credit, pretty much all benefits are now lumped into one, so those currently claiming housing benefit/tax credits/child tax credits will have all those benefits administered as one payment by the jobcentre.

If sanctioned, they will lose the lot, making sanctions under Universal Credit 2/3/4 times worse than they currently are.

(And, for those naive enough to believe that only those guilty of 'not wanting work' get sanctioned- that is not the case. Many have been sanctioned for not attending jobcentre appointments they didn't know about, as the DWP sends it's mail by second class post, which guarantees that a portion of it's clients won't receive notice of the appointment until it has passed).

Yes we do. Foodbanks, homelessness, in work poverty etc. But until it is acknowledged by people (and you can see the problem with that on here,) and by the government, nothing will be done. In fact the problem has been caused by bad government legislation.

QE has helped to increase house and asset prices; but Government have given people tax credits.

HMRC pays over £25 billion in tax credits every year, that is meant to help !!!!!!!!

And then there is the £9 per hour minimum wage, which took people by surprise. Some feel £9 per hour is too much.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39138775

This number will keep rising as we continue to allow millions of unskilled workers to immigrate to the UK.

One of the biggest strains on housing in recent decades has been the breakup of the family unit.

When families separate/divorce it requires additional housing to accommodate individuals who were previously cohabiting.

You don't allow them,you ask them to come and do the jobs that your own won't do,then scapegoat them for doing it.as long as UK people stand back and let immigrants do the jobs that they should be doing,you are the ones causing your own problems,as well as not building enough houses in the first place,you don't invite people round for a cup of tea and find out you don't have enough cups to go round,but in effect,this is what you are doing,then trying to blame the people you invited round for being the problem.

QE has helped to increase house and asset prices; but Government have given people tax credits.

HMRC pays over £25 billion in tax credits every year, that is meant to help !!!!!!!!

And then there is the £9 per hour minimum wage, which took people by surprise. Some feel £9 per hour is too much.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39138775

The article you quote is saying that people with learning difficulties should be allowed to work for less than minimum wage. It says that people with learning difficulties are currently blocked from employment by the minimum wage.

It doesn't say how minimum wage is blocking people with learning difficulties from work though. Can anyone elaborate on how it blocks people from work?