68,000 homeless in Britain, and it's going to get worse

There are several government schemes that will help you buy a home.

Help to Buy

Right to Buy

Shared ownership

Co-Ownership in Northern Ireland

First Steps London

Shared equity schemes

Driving more buyers into a static market increases prices. Simple supply and demand.

If buying is not feasible, then more council housing has to be the answer.

Private renting is not reliable enough. The Landlord only has to decide to sell the house from under you, and your whole world is turned upside down for no fault of your own. For a family with children particularly, that is not acceptable

If buying is not feasible, then more council housing has to be the answer.

Private renting is not reliable enough. The Landlord only has to decide to sell the house from under you, and your whole world is turned upside down for no fault of your own. For a family with children particularly, that is not acceptable

Tenancy agreements are in place so you know where you stand. Private letting is not a charitable cause.

Tenancy agreements are in place so you know where you stand. Private letting is not a charitable cause.

Never said it was, but people need stability and security in their lives. Social Housing seems to be the only way to provide it in the rented sector.

What a cretinous post.

Lots of people who you call 'failures,' have already contributed to the nations wealth. Though some, through a variety of reasons can't.

Yes life is unfair, and the tone you take suggest that's how you like it. Well God help you if you become disabled & need care.

Government's role, in my opinion, should not exacerbate unfairness, but seek to make society more civilised.

Couldn't agree more.

According to tonight's news there are now 68,000 homeless in Britain, a huge increase on previous figures.

In a country that is supposed to be the fifth richest in the world, I find that a disgraceful statistic. Also according to the news if the current government doesn't change its policies quickly, it's going to get a whole lot worse, predicting quarter of a million within 5 years..

In the same broadcast, news that in spite of increasing profits, Amazon is now paying less tax than ever, and it wasn't paying much in the first place.

...What is wrong with this country...?

248,000 net immigration in 2016 don't help

Edited by choogling

What a cretinous post.

Lots of people who you call 'failures,' have already contributed to the nations wealth. Though some, through a variety of reasons can't.

Yes life is unfair, and the tone you take suggest that's how you like it. Well God help you if you become disabled & need care.

Government's role, in my opinion, should not exacerbate unfairness, but seek to make society more civilised.

Your entire arguement is built upon the fact that everyone is entitled to housing. WHY?

What does that even mean, "contributing to the nation's wealth"? How does that determine if you should have housing or not? If you can't afford it then you can't afford it. How is this concept even difficult to understand.

Life I mentioned is unfair, not because I like but because you can do something about it. If you cannot afford housing, then get a better job. If you can't get a better job then up skill so you can. If you don't have the will and prepared to do the work then you deserve all you get.

You all expect the government to make up for your shortfalls which is embarrassing and disgraceful.

Your entire arguement is built upon the fact that everyone is entitled to housing. WHY?

What does that even mean, "contributing to the nation's wealth"? How does that determine if you should have housing or not? If you can't afford it then you can't afford it. How is this concept even difficult to understand.

Life I mentioned is unfair, not because I like but because you can do something about it. If you cannot afford housing, then get a better job. If you can't get a better job then up skill so you can. If you don't have the will and prepared to do the work then you deserve all you get.

You all expect the government to make up for your shortfalls which is embarrassing and disgraceful.

Because in a civilized society, everyone is entitled to a roof over their head.

Life, as you say, is unfair, but surely it is beholden of us all to do our best to rectify that by taking care of each other, particularly those who are struggling with hard times.

A Capitalist system revolves around there being winners and losers, but Responsible Capitalism means helping those unlucky enough to be on the losing side..