68,000 homeless in Britain, and it's going to get worse

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42477120

heartwarming christmas news, at least some people care about the homeless, pity its only 200 they can help tho

I agree. It's good to see so many people giving up their time at Christmas to help others.

Also things like this which make the National News, raises the profile of homelessness. Too many people seem to think it isn't happening, they're all scammers etc. However according to this report from the Shelter organisation, in some areas 1 in 25 people are now homeless.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41889923

Fair enough, if I understand correctly then not working enough hours means you don't qualify for very much, she'd actually get more if she was unemployed, is that right?

Yes, that's right. The government have this mantra that "no-one is worse off in work" but it's demonstrably untrue.

Thanks for the link, makes interesting reading.

Of course being in work would help, but there is often so much baggage in the way that this is not an option without enormous amounts of continuing support. That support generally is lacking and an organisation like this, well intended as it is, barely scratches the surface.

Yes, that's right. The government have this mantra that "no-one is worse off in work" but it's demonstrably untrue.

Will the move to universal credit make this situation better or worse? I understood the taper left people with more earned income than the current system. I know the transition time is too long and there are other issues with it, I mean when it does work as intended.

Regardless, if the person has a condition that seriously limits their ability to earn, the benefits system should be supporting them. Hopefully she can make a successful claim.

Will the move to universal credit make this situation better or worse? I understood the taper left people with more earned income than the current system. I know the transition time is too long and there are other issues with it, I mean when it does work as intended.

Regardless, if the person has a condition that seriously limits their ability to earn, the benefits system should be supporting them. Hopefully she can make a successful claim.

A small number of people gain under UC but most lose - it was one of Osborne's wheezes to hide cuts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-birmingham-42457121?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=5a44e377e4b0e9a433c1f627%26Mystery%20%C2%A34m%20donation%20to%20make%20%27huge%20difference%27%20to%20homeless%26&ns_fee=0#post_5a44e377e4b0e9a433c1f627

The £4 million came anonymously to the Heart of England Community Foundation.

Why people do these things anonymously is beyond me, surely they could help decide how the money is spent, and encourage others to help by giving donations.