68,000 homeless in Britain, and it's going to get worse

They're having a clean-up in Windsor, getting rid of the homeless off the streets.

Can't have them spoiling the Royal Wedding photographs can we?

Its not just that. How easy would it be for a suicide bomber to disguise as someone homeless?

---------- Post added 05-01-2018 at 10:32 ----------

Perhaps the CEO of Windsor Council or whatever it is, should get off his arse, earn his money and help get the homeless homes rather than trying to punish them.

Didn't he say that some of them are refusing help? What do you do then?

Why must you do something? Particularly if the something is harmful to them.

---------- Post added 05-01-2018 at 12:52 ----------

Its not just that. How easy would it be for a suicide bomber to disguise as someone homeless?

Would it be any easier or harder to disguise themselves as a tourist come to watch?

Nobody was suggesting allowing that homeless people be left inside whatever security cordon is in place, so this is a total non argument.

Why must you do something? Particularly if the something is harmful to them.

---------- Post added 05-01-2018 at 12:52 ----------

Would it be any easier or harder to disguise themselves as a tourist come to watch?

Nobody was suggesting allowing that homeless people be left inside whatever security cordon is in place, so this is a total non argument.

"They've been offered help" can be a nice get-out for statutory services. Within any cohort of rough sleepers there are likely to be some aren't ready to make changes that will help them and who have declined some good, useful help - in those circumstances all you can really do is wait for them to be ready. But there will also be lots of people who have been offered help that wasn't going to be useful to them - a lot of services are not very imaginative or flexible in what they offer. In Sheffield there are lots of people in very poor mental health, often traumatised, who use alcohol as a way of coping with what's going on inside their heads. It's effective in the short term but obviously very harmful in the long term. They persist because they are afraid of not being able to cope mentally if they are sober. If they do request support from mental health services (and I have helped a good number of people who have done this) they are told to stop drinking before they can have any mental health support - this is a completely unhelpful intervention, but they've 'been offered help', right?

When I was severely depressed I was offered CBT. It was all about how I felt about and responded to situations. But there was no situation making me depressed, I was just waking up every morning feeling dreadful. It came out of the blue and (eventually) went away of its own accord. I didn't take up the CBT because it was irrelevant to my situation. But I was 'offered help', so it was my fault that I was ill, right?

Edited by Bob Arctor

"They've been offered help" can be a nice get-out for statutory services. Within any cohort of rough sleepers there are likely to be some aren't ready to make changes that will help them and who have declined some good, useful help - in those circumstances all you can really do is wait for them to be ready. But there will also be lots of people who have been offered help that wasn't going to be useful to them - a lot of services are not very imaginative or flexible in what they offer. In Sheffield there are lots of people in very poor mental health, often traumatised, who use alcohol as a way of coping with what's going on inside their heads. It's effective in the short term but obviously very harmful in the long term. They persist because they are afraid of not being able to cope mentally if they are sober. If they do request support from mental health services (and I have helped a good number of people who have done this) they are told to stop drinking before they can have any mental health support - this is a completely unhelpful intervention, but they've 'been offered help', right?

When I was severely depressed I was offered CBT. It was all about how I felt about and responded to situations. But there was no situation making me depressed, I was just waking up every morning feeling dreadful. It came out of the blue and (eventually) went away of its own accord. I didn't take up the CBT because it was irrelevant to my situation. But I was 'offered help', so it was my fault that I was ill, right?

It must be difficult, and costly, to tailor what is often long term treatment to every individual. I do remember when intensive tenancy support was available to help at least some who were street homeless or at risk of it, to eventually live independently. Even that didn't work for everyone. I don't know if the council still offer that support. Have you any suggestions as to what services would ideally be available, and how they'd be paid for?

It must be difficult, and costly, to tailor what is often long term treatment to every individual. I do remember when intensive tenancy support was available to help at least some who were street homeless or at risk of it, to eventually live independently. Even that didn't work for everyone. I don't know if the council still offer that support. Have you any suggestions as to what services would ideally be available, and how they'd be paid for?

Some people (often with mental health issues,) simply cannot cope alone. They need some form of sheltered accommodation.

Many years ago I worked at Middlewood hospital helping to rehabilitate people who had become institutionalised, to face the outside world. Even then it was obvious that some weren't going to make it, even with 'care in the community.'

That 'care' was patchy at best. It now seems to be non-existent. I assume it is expensive and has subsequently been withdrawn. So these sort of people have been all but abandoned and are now sleeping rough on the street.

Sadly, some people would be better off in residential homes /hospitals.

Edited by Anna B

• 3 weeks later...

1,768 in 2010

4,751 in 2017

Maybe the graph would look less alarming if it were to include another 25 years.

The figures certainly are alarming and require serious attention don't you think?

A walk round Sheffield city centre also demonstrates how much homelessness is increasing. Nobody in power seems to be doing anything much about it, except moving them on or denying their existance. Very worrying.