68,000 homeless in Britain, and it's going to get worse

So you do accept that it's a growing problem nationally, not just in London?

Now you're thinking about Police and Crime Commissioners. South Yorkshire's is a Labour politician who's previous life experience is being a vicar and city councillor.

I'm torn on the value of PCC's but on balance the fact that South Yorkshire Police is being led by a politically appointed vicar suggests that it was a bad idea by the government.

Imagine how vulnerable you would feel if you are sleeping out alone on the streets at night. Some sick people deliberately pick on the homeless for their kicks.

50% of population growth is down to an aging population and our NHS keeping people alive for longer.

Since 1955, the number of births in the UK has been higher than the number of deaths in every year except 1976.

I agree, we should build more houses; perhaps we cannot stop people from living longer, but the Tories are doing their best :loopy:

The younger generation are less healthy. The only thing that Tories care about is their own bank balance.

50% of population growth is down to an aging population and our NHS keeping people alive for longer.

Since 1955, the number of births in the UK has been higher than the number of deaths in every year except 1976.

I agree, we should build more houses; perhaps we cannot stop people from living longer, but the Tories are doing their best :loopy:

The younger generation are less healthy. The only thing that Tories care about is their own bank balance.

100% of people get older, including the increasing number of young people.

News articles seem to report on the situation, but don't really go into any objective detail.

Take this one for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42781377

Tony, a 72-year-old former railway worker, is living in a small blue tent in a concrete underpass.

Tony, one of an estimated 130 rough sleepers in the middle of Milton Keynes, has been homeless for almost a year, saying he lost his flat after a problem over rent and benefits, which ended with the bailiffs on his doorstep.

He says that he can afford to eat, but has no chance of being able to afford private rent.

"What can I do?" he says.

He is not self-pitying and doesn't blame anyone else, but sits in his hat and coat beside the one-man tent that now holds all his possessions. He says his family could call him if they wanted to get in touch.

I find it hard to believe the man doesn't get enough money to allow him to lodge somewhere. Spareroom has rooms listed for under £300 a month. There's even listings for property guardians for £200 a month.

What about his family? Don't they have a duty and responsibility to care for him?

And in general, does the homeless figure take into account those who don't want help, or are fakes, like this one in Liverpool:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/aggressive-beggar-could-now-banned-14040490

IIRC this is the same fella who gave me abuse when I offered him food, he wanted cold hard cash.

These factors are entirely unrelated to the problem.

Try to stop letting your prejudices rule you.

So the number of people wanting homes and the number of available homes has nothing to do with a housing shortage.

Okay thanks for that common sense approach.

You are the problem, you cause homelessness.

---------- Post added 26-01-2018 at 11:16 ----------

So you do accept that it's a growing problem nationally, not just in London?

Of course. But the main problem is in London. Acid attacks as well.

---------- Post added 26-01-2018 at 11:36 ----------

The main problem is population growth. We allow people to come here who have no money, nowhere to stay, no prospect of a job. Anyone who fits those criteria shouldn't be in the figures.

Another problem for people who are established here is not securing a property but maintaining the tenancy.

Anyone who has any knowledge of the problem and has spent time at The Archer Project or worked through the Christmas period at HARAC will be aware of the real issue.

I suspect none of the people on here who like to inflate their own egos by blustering through the usual well rehearsed pc rubbish have.

Most established Homeless, people who were born here, can't maintain a tenancy. They spend rent on drugs or alcohol and are then evicted. It then becomes difficult to secure another place. The real problem is drugs or alcohol, this causes the homelessness.

There are also another group, ie mentally ill. These people suffer the same fate in that maintaining a tenancy becomes difficult.

If you want to help the homeless spend less time on the forum telling the world how wonderful you are because you care about the homeless. Spend some time on the streets helping people. Next Christmas give up your time and get in touch with HARAC. or perhaps donate to The Archer Project.

1. It is completely madness to let more people into the country when the housing market can not supply enough homes.

2. Established Homeless are mainly the result of people unable to cope with running their own lives for one reason or another.

3. Spend some time away from your cosy little lives and actually do something about it.

Edited by LowCostPoint

News articles seem to report on the situation, but don't really go into any objective detail.

Take this one for example:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42781377

I find it hard to believe the man doesn't get enough money to allow him to lodge somewhere. Spareroom has rooms listed for under £300 a month. There's even listings for property guardians for £200 a month.

What about his family? Don't they have a duty and responsibility to care for him?

That's just what I was thinking.

As with all these stories, its full of oh dearism but scant on actual facts.

Basic state pension alone is over £600 a month and if he really is in such desprate state its likely he will still be entitled to some form of housing benefit / pension credit or council tax discounts. Lets then add on free bus travel, free prescriptions and winter fuel payments and its clear there are a lot of questions to be asked about why this 72 year old is in the position he is.

Ex railway worker must have had some income. Ex railway worker likely to have some form of additional pension too. Something has clearly gone wrong but funny how the article (as usual) never mentions that.

"What can I do?" He asks. Well on that sort of money quite a lot one would think. Millions of other pensioners do.

Edited by ECCOnoob