Cameras To Be Installed In All Slaughterhouses

Under halal animals can be stunned.

Do you know which practice BANS the animals being stunned in anyway and REQUIRES them to bleed to death fully conscious? Kosher. Yet funnily enough, once again people with seemingly little interest in animal welfare but a massive interest in muslim slamming seem to ignore this.

Pretty much all slaughterhouses in the UK have been run on the exact same standards as halal ones for years and years. The only difference is that the non-halal ones don't have a tape of prayers playing. The animals are killed in the exact same way.

Honestly, all the people on here saying it's cruel to kill an animal without stunning them, well yes, blatantly, but then I'd argue it's pretty darn cruel to raise an animal in conditions to maximise yield of meat, often taking the young away from it's mother much earlier than it would be naturally, cross breeding animals to increase meat or milk production even if this causes side effects to the animals health, transporting live animals in cages huge distances so it lives in the UK and is killed here so it can gain British meat status when it spent most of it's life abroad, and incredibly I find killing an animal for food that we do NOT require fairly cruel.

And I do eat meat, but I do so in the full knowledge and acceptance of the cruelty my desire for steak and bacon causes and I live with it.

Edited by sgtkate

I educated myself last night. You seem to think that there's nothing cruel about Halal slaughter. When slaughtered for religious reasons animals don't have to be stunned first. These exemptions should be stopped. Hopefully you will agree.

Please read the RSPCA document.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232719611043&mode=prd

I think the cameras are a good thing, definitely a step forward. Being cruel to an animal is wrong, no matter who does it and for whatever reason.

---------- Post added 16-08-2017 at 02:22 ----------

It can take up to 2 minutes for a calf to lose consciousness. :sad:

Government‟s independent advisory body, the Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC)

Two minutes isn't exceptible and let's hope these vets agree.

Edited by hauxwell

I educated myself last night. You seem to think that there's nothing cruel about Halal slaughter. When slaughtered for religious reasons animals don't have to be stunned first. These exemptions should be stopped. Hopefully you will agree.

Please read the RSPCA document.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232719611043&mode=prd

I think the cameras are a good thing, definitely a step forward. Being cruel to an animal is wrong, no matter who does it and for whatever reason.

---------- Post added 16-08-2017 at 02:22 ----------

It can take up to 2 minutes for a calf to lose consciousness. :sad:

Government‟s independent advisory body, the Farm Animal Welfare Council (FAWC)

You didn't educate yourself well enough, most halal meat is pre stunned before slaughter and its only a very small percentage that isn't.

You didn't educate yourself well enough, most halal meat is pre stunned before slaughter and its only a very small percentage that isn't.

Yes, I know. Did you read the document? You're telling people to educate themselves properly on the subject. We are or trying to. That's why I posted the document. It's from a source that is directly concerned about the animals welfare, and nothing else. No agendas etc...

Do you think that 'all' animals should be stunned before slaughter? I do.

Do you think that there should be cameras installed in 'all' abattoirs? I do.

What's your opinion on the subject? You've posted a few times but haven't given it.

Just to throw a stone into the waters, if I was seen cutting my dogs throat and leaving it to bleed out, would the law a) do nothing b) arrest me for cruelty to an animal. My best guess would be b).

A sheep, cow or dog are animals, get my drift here.

Angel1.

Just to throw a stone into the waters, if I was seen cutting my dogs throat and leaving it to bleed out, would the law a) do nothing b) arrest me for cruelty to an animal. My best guess would be b).

A sheep, cow or dog are animals, get my drift here.

Angel1.

If you stunned your dog with a bolt and then cut it's throat, which is the way almost all slaughter is done in the UK, with or without prayers you'd also likely be under arrest. Our animal cruelty laws are a little bit hypocritical.

The point is there have been reports of too low a voltage being used when the animals are stunned which results in the animals being aware of whats going on and waking during the slaughter.

http://scotlandforanimals.org/not-racist-just-against-unstunned-slaughter/

---------- Post added 16-08-2017 at 16:32 ----------

I just think anyone who can treat animals that way, as one of the horrific videos in the telegraph article shows, shows some sort of desensitisation to the suffering the animals are going through, studies have shown a link between animal cruelty and human violence, its not rocket science.

---------- Post added 16-08-2017 at 16:37 ----------

here's the link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shopping-and-consumer-news/11384505/Secret-halal-slaughterhouse-film-reveals-horrific-animal-abuse.html

Edited by crazybaby
link

it's cruel to kill an animal without stunning them, well yes

Well, no. An animal is rendered unconscious as soon as its throat is slit. Electric stunning often fails and that's a major cause of pain.

Consider paper cuts. Photocopier paper is notorious sharp-edged, as anyone using a copier knows. The paper is way blunter than knives used by trained abattoir workers.

The real problem is ensuring that such workers do their job properly and without causing pain to the animal.

Well, no. An animal is rendered unconscious as soon as its throat is slit. Electric stunning often fails and that's a major cause of pain.

Consider paper cuts. Photocopier paper is notorious sharp-edged, as anyone using a copier knows. The paper is way blunter than knives used by trained abattoir workers.

The real problem is ensuring that such workers do their job properly and without causing pain to the animal.

Valid point, but you managed to quote one small part of my entire reply which kinda lost it's meaning.

If you stunned your dog with a bolt and then cut it's throat, which is the way almost all slaughter is done in the UK, with or without prayers you'd also likely be under arrest. Our animal cruelty laws are a little bit hypocritical.

It is not illegal humanely kill your own dog.