Do you buy in to the news conspiracy theories?

No, I agree, I could keep the 4 track. But why? I have the high quality master copy of THE EXACT SAME THING on DAT as well. How can you not understand what a recording of a live feed is??

If the moon landing was fake, why would they be recording low res backups onto telemetry tapes in the first place Alan? If it looked like something was going wrong in their fake set-up and it risked being exposed they would have just cut the live feed wouldn't they? Why risk tapes showing the ****-up being leaked? Have you even considered that for a second?

I can concede that it might make morons suspicious. That's about it.

The thing is though Jacko, things have been leaked, such as the example I produced today of the footage of earth shrinking into the distance that never was, that Bart Sibrel confronted Buzz Aldrin with, causing him to have a melt down.

The thing is though Jacko, things have been leaked, such as the example I produced today of the footage of earth shrinking into the distance that never was, that Bart Sibrel confronted Buzz Aldrin with, causing him to have a melt down.

You are still going along with that despite Robin's reply then? Did you try my experiment?

I have to hold my hands up and say I got the wrong end of the stick with the telemetry tapes. The SSTV camera on Apollo 11 was specially made for the job but only broadcast over part of the bandwidth of the full signal received back on earth from the moon. That meant only 10 frames per second and 320 lines. NTSC TV in the US is, or was then at least, broadcast at a different frequency, 32 frames per second and 500 odd lines so NASA had to have a special converter made to allow broadcast of the SSTV footage live for viewers at home. Only footage after conversion remains; the original telemetry tapes which Alan has pointed out are missing, would produce better quality footage. My mistake. This essentially makes my earlier Kurt Cobain analogy back to front. Apologies for that. This wasn't deliberate. Here is the conclusion from NASA's investigation report into the loss of the original tapes which can be viewed online.

....some might believe that NASA and its employees-some of them long dead should have recognized the tapes' importance and preserved them for posterity. But before coming to judgment, one needs to put the issue into perspective and consider the role that these tapes played in the Apollo 11 mission.

Among other data, they recorded an unconventional television signal, which had to be converted and repackaged to make viewable-and only then with significant degradation. "They were telemetry tapes; it's as simple as that," Nafzger said. "NASA has always backed up mission data and that's the role these tapes played. In all honesty I don't think they would have passed the test," he added. "The technology didn't exist to do anything with them other than what was already done at the time they were made."'

Perhaps there are no clear answers. All that can be said with any certainty is that NASA and the Goddard Space Flight Center followed all procedures in storing the Apollo telemetry tapes, the search team has concluded. After reviewing their content and determining that Apollo program managers no longer needed the data, Goddard personnel shipped the telemetry tapes to WNRC for storage. Over the ensuing years, Goddard recalled them and either reused the one-inch tapes to meet a network shortage in the early 1980s or disposed of them because of the high cost of storing them. At no time did anyone recognize the unique content on roughly 45 tapes containing the actual moonwalk video. At no time did anyone ever consider what could be possible nearly 40 years into the future with the advent of new technology."

My question about why NASA recorded the data to telemetry tapes if the whole thing was a scam is still valid.

---------- Post added 05-09-2017 at 02:23 ----------

The fact that that can't happen now fuels theories that there was something that NASA didn't want the world to know in those original tapes.

Why cant it happen now? Because NASA learned from this mistake? Because they don't use SSTV working over a small part of the signal bandwidth any more? Because they don't use magnetic tape to store data now because technology has moved on?

Why does that "fact" fuel theories? Call me a cynic but I thought wanting to sell rubbish books to gullible half-wits fuelled most theories.

Edited by Jacko92

Sigh. This has now been explained to you twice.

That footage was in no way leaked. Sibrel pretends that it's this explosive unseen footage that NASA didn't want anyone to see because it fits with his narrative. That however is not remotely true. It is available, unedited, on the Apollo 11 DVD set from Spacecraft Films.

Sigh. This has now been explained to you twice.

That footage was in no way leaked. Sibrel pretends that it's this explosive unseen footage that NASA didn't want anyone to see because it fits with his narrative. That however is not remotely true. It is available, unedited, on the Apollo 11 DVD set from Spacecraft Films.

You have to wonder what Aldrin got upset about then?

On a different topic, what are we to make of this, from an episode of the Simpsons aired in 1997?

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140516232716/villains/images/0/05/Simpsons9-11.jpg

Coincidence. Nothing more, nothing less - unless you're imbecilic to believe it's somehow significant.

What do you make of it? Think it's significant?