Gender Fluid etc, Opinions?

I didn't say someone was bigoted for making assumptions, you did.

These days, suppose a police officer happened upon a lost child and the police officer said, "lets find your mum and dad", or something like that, there are those that would find that a bigoted assumption. Bosses of public institutions probably instruct staff to avoid these assumptions. You know it.

Political correctness off its tits!

It's an assumption.

But not bigotry

bigotry

ˈbɪɡətri/Submit

noun

intolerance towards those who hold different opinions from oneself.

No intolerance demonstrated and others opinions about lost children don't really matter do they, the police officer (not policeman, but you didn't make that mistake) is just doing their job.

You can't really declare a hypothetical situation that you just made up to be an example of "PC off its tits", you made it up, it's not real.

These days, suppose a police officer happened upon a lost child and the police officer said, "lets find your mum and dad", or something like that, there are those that would find that a bigoted assumption. Bosses of public institutions probably instruct staff to avoid these assumptions. You know it.

Political correctness off its tits!

Who are you talking about?

Because it is something that is starting to affect laws and how we think as a community, so it is something that affects everyone.

For example, i say that i don't believe in all of this gender-fluidity malarkey. Then, someone who claims to be gender-fluid comes along and claims that i am being 'ist' against them, and that i am promoting hatespeech against the LGBTQ community. They can go to the authorities and be taken seriously as they will claim their rights are being threatened and under possible hatespeech rules i could be questioned... as far as i understand it.

If you promote hate against people, for whatever reason, then yes, you would be committing a crime. Seems fair.

Not believing in something, despite your lack of logic is not a crime, nor is stating that you don't believe. If you like you can declare not to believe in female as a gender and believe that male is the only gender. You won't be prosecuted.

Of course if you discriminate against people who tell you that they're female then depending on the circumstances you might be breaking the law (for example, if interviewing to hire people).

None of this seems unreasonable to me. Gender should be irrelevant when hiring people, despite your personal hangups about it. Discrimination in your personal life is not illegal, for example, as is probably the case, you can have no friends who identify as female, because you think they've made up the gender to gain rights.

---------- Post added 08-11-2017 at 15:14 ----------

Who are you talking about?

He's now arguing against the strawman he's created where police officers are accused of bigotry because they said something about mummy and daddy to a lost child. :roll:

I didn't suggest anything was above criticism. It would be interesting to hear what the rejection into the study was because i, like you, think it's important to understand for future generations. It has also been identified that gender reassignment should start as soon as possible, to help prevent long term mental health issues.

No, but you are accepting the existence of multiple genders, when it's not at all clear what gender really is.

And I don't believe it's anywhere near accpted that gender reassignment should be started as soon as possible. It may well be best for some, but as far as I know there isn't a consensus in medical circles. Which is why it's vital that research continues.

No, but you are accepting the existence of multiple genders, when it's not at all clear what gender really is.

And I don't believe it's anywhere near accpted that gender reassignment should be started as soon as possible. It may well be best for some, but as far as I know there isn't a consensus in medical circles. Which is why it's vital that research continues.

No, I'm accepting of being inclusive and accepting that a proportion of the population wish to identify as something other than male or female. I can't see any harm in that.

As for gender reassignment, maybe I gave the wrong impression, I didn't want to imply that there was a consensus.

No, I'm accepting of being inclusive and accepting that a proportion of the population wish to identify as something other than male or female. I can't see any harm in that.

As for gender reassignment, maybe I gave the wrong impression, I didn't want to imply that there was a consensus.

I just want people to be happy in their own skin. I don't know for certain that allocating gender is the way to do that. Perhaps the way forward is to move away from the concept of gender, rather than expanding it? Let's question rather than go down one particular rabbit hole.

Which is fair enough, but woe betide anybody in public life that doesn't want to believe that Kellie Malony and Caitlyn Jenner are literally actual women.

Which is fair enough, but woe betide anybody in public life that doesn't want to believe that Kellie Malony and Caitlyn Jenner are literally actual women.

You're building a strawman again, I can tell.

---------- Post added 08-11-2017 at 16:25 ----------

I just want people to be happy in their own skin. I don't know for certain that allocating gender is the way to do that. Perhaps the way forward is to move away from the concept of gender, rather than expanding it? Let's question rather than go down one particular rabbit hole.

The people concerned are being allowed to allocate their own gender identity.

Facebook, for example, has come up with their list of gender options in addition to simply male or female. I hazard a guess that they didn't think it up for themselves, but consulted with relevant interest groups for what appears to be as comprehensive a list as possible.

Edited by SnailyBoy

You're building a strawman again, I can tell.

Have a watch of this https://youtu.be/rhVDt3Gax9s

Admittedly Ben Shapiro was a bit tactless in how he put his point of view across, but the "woman's" reaction was very telling, went straight back to mr tuff guy :hihi:. I'm stunned also at how the transgender person's threatening conduct seemed to deemed acceptable.