Sheffield Trams

illuminati

The Weedon Street /Brightside lane tram depot was for the horse trams.

At some stage a new bridge was built into Jessops' works.

On electrification the tram depot was no longer required and the new bridge was too low for the double deckers so the tracks were shortened.

In the following photographs/maps from Sheffield History you can see the electric tram terminus and a waiting room(shed to the locals) together with the (replacement?)building on the horse tram depot site. The Bridge Inn was to its immediate right(out of sight).

Picture Sheffield shows the gap to the left which was the site of the horse tram depot where Voldy picture shows the horse tram on the road outside.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Hi All,

Below is a link to a Picture Sheffield pic of Vulcan Road.

I used to travel to my then girlfriends house in Bramley near Rotherham from Shiregreen in the early 1960s

I would go down Jenkin Road on my Lambretta, along a short stretch of Meadowhall Road and then Weedon Street, Sheffield Road and then up Bawtry Road.

I recall coming back via Vulcan Road for a change sometimes. Did it bear round to the left after the bridge on the pic onto what is now Meadow Hall Way and exit onto Meadow Hall Road or did it exit at Weedon Street from what is now Meadowhall Drive? I can't remember after all those years :huh:

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27241&pos=26&action=zoom&id=29651

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27241&prevUrl=

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR