Questions about WW2 and US

AKGT

This thread has gone a bit off topic and what I asked, still hoping to get a clear answer

Hello to AKGT - Here's my take on some of the subject matter. I recall a documentary on the 'Beginning of the 2nd world war years', that wasn't the title, that's my title as it was such a long time ago, I was probably listening or watching PBS (Public Broadcasting Service). Winston Churchill was approaching the US at the outset of the war for financial aid to carry on with the effort. He was met with "where's your collateral?", I guess a smart answer would be "if I had collateral we wouldn't need the aid". The conversation got around to material things and what was decided (I kid you not!) Britain had a ship leaving South Africa with a load of diamonds and it was suggested by the US it would be intercepted by them and a transfer would take place. Churchill claimed it would be/was tantamount "to sending the Bailiff's in on a repossession". Did this all take place as suggested partly or otherwise? I don't know. I tell you I don't throw my arms in the air and shout "NO WAY" because the US being a nation of immigrants have a way about the bucks and I suppose it's not an entirely bad thing but isn't there a time and place for such shenanigans. Didn't the States buy Alaska from the Russians for 7.2 million dollars ? (A real estate deal of a lifetime) , a celebrity would have to spend triple that to buy a single dream home these day's. fleetwood

Thanks fleetwood it gives me a starting point.